Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Windshield Wiper Mod

Old 05-05-2008, 06:30 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Windshield Wiper Mod

I ride with my top off 100% in the summer time, rain or shine.

It can be a pain to see the road with rain/mud in the inside of my windshield and sometimes it's just not practical to have to reach for the squeegy or towel.

SO... I want to rig a wiper motor on the inside of my windshield. I also want to rig a channel to catch and divert the water that comes off of it to the floor where the drain holes can take over the chore of removing the water.

Has anyone done a project like this? Does anyone know of a good small wiper motor to center this project around?
Old 05-05-2008, 06:43 AM
JK Newbie

rain-x helps.. but the towel has to go... Ever try wiping down the inside of your windshield at 60mph in a downpour with a crosswind beating the hell out of you?

I've been there and all I can say is teh wiper is a must! lol
Old 05-05-2008, 09:59 AM
JK Super Freak

Drop the windshield. Wear goggles.

They're easier to wipe off while driving.
Old 05-05-2008, 10:06 AM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't think the dash electronics will like you for very long.
Old 05-05-2008, 10:59 AM
JK Newbie

The electronics have liked me just fine for over a year now. Though I admit I had the top and doors on from November to February..

I do have the soft-top, but find I'd rather take 2 minutes to put my rain gear on than the 15 minutes it takes to put the top up and doors on. I have to admit too that I enjoy the looks I get. Everything from the "you're crazy " from most motorists to the "kick ass!" from other Jeepers.

I've added some caulk to a couple choice locations, shrink-wrapped my under seat electronics, pulled the carpet, and have had nothing but luck with my Yes Essentials drying out withing 15 minutes after the rain stopping.
I also carry my rain suit everywhere I go.

Windshield down isn't an option.. Goggles don't protect your face from tires kicking up rocks. Oh and it would make my JK slightly more illegal than it already is. No sense in tempting fate more than I have to.

I've been using a squeegy and a towel, but that's not user friendly enough for me anymore.
Old 05-05-2008, 11:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

I wouldn't think it would matter what was on your winshield in a downpour going 60mph, how could you see anything anyways....that is a lot of water hitting you in the face.....
Old 05-05-2008, 11:43 AM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Saharicon
The electronics have liked me just fine for over a year now. Though I admit I had the top and doors on from November to February..

I do have the soft-top, but find I'd rather take 2 minutes to put my rain gear on than the 15 minutes it takes to put the top up and doors on. I have to admit too that I enjoy the looks I get. Everything from the "you're crazy " from most motorists to the "kick ass!" from other Jeepers.

I've added some caulk to a couple choice locations, shrink-wrapped my under seat electronics, pulled the carpet, and have had nothing but luck with my Yes Essentials drying out withing 15 minutes after the rain stopping.
I also carry my rain suit everywhere I go.

Windshield down isn't an option.. Goggles don't protect your face from tires kicking up rocks. Oh and it would make my JK slightly more illegal than it already is. No sense in tempting fate more than I have to.

I've been using a squeegy and a towel, but that's not user friendly enough for me anymore.
Moisture has long been one of the worst enemies of electronics, heat being the other. I am sure that the interior of your Jeep has nothing magical protecting it. You will have trouble, however eventually. Good luck with it though.
Old 05-05-2008, 11:49 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by chumpmann
I wouldn't think it would matter what was on your winshield in a downpour going 60mph, how could you see anything anyways....that is a lot of water hitting you in the face.....

at 60 most of it pleasantly hits the windshield or the viser on my hat and not my face.. The bill on the hat is crucial though.. It collects the water and lets it drip down my nose instead of letting it hit me in the eyes..

The rain that hits the backside of the windshield mostly comes from either splashing off of me, the seats, the B-pillar, and the occasional sideways wind, etc.. At least, that seems to be where it's coming from. When it's raining lightly I get next to no spray on the inside of the windshield at all.
Old 05-05-2008, 12:31 PM
JK Newbie

Default I would

So you don't even want to run a bikini top? They are cheap with the open air feel and would help with all that.
Old 05-05-2008, 12:56 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by markd350ci
So you don't even want to run a bikini top? They are cheap with the open air feel and would help with all that.
Still have the problem with rain getting on the back of the windshield. I tried running top up doors off and had much the same problem as just leaving the top off. Thanks though.

Quick Reply: Windshield Wiper Mod