Notices
Photography & Videography General discussion forum regarding all aspects of photography including 35mm SLR cameras, Digital Cameras, Video Cameras, lenses, photo techniques, darkroom/Photoshop techniques and anything related to photography or videography.

While Shooting in Katmai National Park Alaska

Old 01-29-2011, 07:20 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tails
All that stuff about taking his fish made me think of this ad
Well, I was about to post that too... especially after this guy's post:
Originally Posted by BigJeschke
Walk up, give the bear a stern look and take his fish. Nothin to it right?
Old 01-29-2011, 09:44 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That may be one of the funniest things I have ever seen
Old 01-30-2011, 12:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by AK4Dave
Howdy.....I've fished the "area" many times but never there right at the Russian.....not into combat fishing. I also fish other places around where the salmon are thick so it naturally means bears. So I too carry a sidearm as well. Ran into a sow with 3 cubs last summer when fishing a tributary coming into Tustumena Lake.....which is not far from my house.

What kind of side arm do you recommend? I've been looking into 44mags????? any other suggestions????
Old 01-30-2011, 04:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default .44 Ruger Super Redhawk

Originally Posted by 2xcapeIN
What kind of side arm do you recommend? I've been looking into 44mags????? any other suggestions????
I went with this one. Stainless so it wont rust down on the rivers, 6" barrel so you can engage a bear as FAR out as possible, yet still short enough to draw in a hurry, and .44 being about the smallest I'd want to go. While it may not penetrate a charging bear's skull every time, it will usually be sufficient to change his mind, at least quick enough for you to get a second shot off. Bad thing about a Grizz, you can kill him, and he wont know it for a half hour or so.

You can also go with the 9mm, just remember to shave the front sightposts down. that way it doesn't hurt so bad when said bear shoves it up your @$$....lol. that joke never gets old.
Old 01-30-2011, 06:39 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by 2xcapeIN
Well I used to have a S&W 629 SS in 44 mag but I sold it awhile back. I just now replaced it with a Ruger Redhawk in 45 Colt w/ 4" barrel. Reason being is that it can handle the heavy loads. That means it's a bigger slug hitting harder than the 44 mag. Buffalo Bore loads w/ 325 grn. slug at 1325 fps. I was considering the 454 Casull but it was a bit out of my price range and the damn thing kicks like a mule. I can also enjoy shooting cowboy rounds in 45 Colt all day long.

Last edited by AK4Dave; 01-30-2011 at 06:44 PM.
Old 01-31-2011, 12:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

Hey guys! Thank you for all the responses to my recent thread from Katmai National Park, Alaska. I'll soon be adding more images of my work throughout Alaska and other parts of North America.
Old 02-03-2011, 07:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

One of the highlights of my travels photographing in Alaska, was sea kayaking in Prince William Sound, near Columbia Glacier. This glacier from the surface of the water to the top is around 500 feet high. While navigating my kayak through fields of floating icebergs that can stand 2 stories high, you just can't help but to be overwhelmed. When the tide goes out the icebergs will set on the bottom. When the tide returns these enormous mounds of ice will roll over next to you. If you could only imagine standing next to a two story house as it tips over in front of you a few feet away.

While having a shore lunch on a rocky island, I was able to photograph a group of kayakers paddling through an area I had just traveled through earlier.

Not to far from where I photographed this image, was where the Exxon Valdez hit a reef that will change that area forever.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	FH030040_edited-1.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	124383  
Old 02-04-2011, 12:40 PM
JK Jedi

Great shot...!!! I've been in the sound a few times both before and after the Exxon Valdez. One of the most beautiful places I've ever been in my almost 30 years in AK.
Old 02-04-2011, 06:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

Hi AK4Dave, I remember when traveling past Bligh Reef, all I could envision was all that oil floating on the surface. There is no evidence of the spill today other than the fact that there is still oil in the shallow tidal pools. If I'm not mistaken, the State of Alaska is still trying to get more money from Exxon to extract more oil out of that area.

You're right that area is so beautiful! As far as my picture is concerned, I really don't believe anyone can take a bad picture in Alaska.
Old 02-04-2011, 10:30 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by dallasc
Hi AK4Dave, I remember when traveling past Bligh Reef, all I could envision was all that oil floating on the surface. There is no evidence of the spill today other than the fact that there is still oil in the shallow tidal pools. If I'm not mistaken, the State of Alaska is still trying to get more money from Exxon to extract more oil out of that area.

You're right that area is so beautiful! As far as my picture is concerned, I really don't believe anyone can take a bad picture in Alaska.
Actually there is still oil on some beaches anywhere from a few inches to a foot or so down below the surface. The salmon runs are not like they were before the spill, and the numbers of wildlife have decreased as well. Most of the area is still not quite like it was before the spill. Mother nature has tried very hard to fix it, but it's been a very hard fix to say the least.

Quick Reply: While Shooting in Katmai National Park Alaska