Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

2014 JK (P0344 CODE; stop the nightmare)

Old 06-28-2020, 11:55 AM
JK Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2014 JK (P0344 CODE; stop the nightmare)

P0344 CODE has shown it's ugly head after recently replacing the BANK-1 Intake CAM. The CAM needed to be replaced after "Ticking" Noise started to become more relevant and figured before my son and I do any Mod's to the Jeep, lets get the power plant running nice. Pulled the Valve Cover off (Passenger Side) and BINGO the CAM Lobe was smoked and Rocker also worn...below are the items performed and attached will show the original CAM prior to removal.

2014 JEEP Wrangler Sarah; Vehicle has 155k on miles and originated out of Canada, and brought over to MI from Auction...very clean vehicle and good maintenance schedule.

Steps taken so Far...
1). Pulled Valve Cover and replaced CAM (Intake Side) on Bank-1 w/OEM CM, also replaced all ROCKER's and then on the Exhaust side replaced 2-Rockers closest to the firewall end of Bank-1 as a precaution. After hearing of failures in that end of the CAM's we thought it best to replace the rockers.
2). After CAM replacement; P0344 CODE showed up, Dashboard Engine Light + Traction Control Light showed up and confirmed Code at local auto part store.
-Replaced the CAM Position Sensor, CODE Remained, Swapped Sensors from opposite side of Engine, CODE Remained.
3). Reached out to local engine repair shop to have Engine Checked and Scope performed. Tech noted Exhaust side Good Pattern on Scope, Intake Side showed a "V" shape pattern in the signal over a "\_/" Pattern on Exhaust side. Also checked signal at Cam Position Sensor and then even pulled adapter Plug while connected and Computer error indicator shown as it should when signal lost. Tech pulled Valve Cover and confirmed Timing is Good. The Tech's spent over a 8hr time span looking at items and running various scenarios...CPS Replaced with OEM CPS and Code P0344 remained.

Further review of the items pointed to CAM and potentially the Magnet as the Scope picked up the "V" reading and not a "\_/" reading, so my son and I pulled the CAM and replaced as a precaution to possibly having a Bad CAM due to a bad magnet. We took Due Care again with the CAM and did not touch anything while installing to avoid contact with Magnet. Still the same P0344 Error Code on Bank-1.

4). Vehicle dropped off at Local- Dodge-Jeep Dealer for Tech to review. After review, I had been notified the Tech needed to replace the CAM Phaser's (both Intake and Exhaust) along with CAM Phaser Bolt. After giving OK on $830 Repair; the CODE P0344 remained. The Tech then proceed to inform us the Chain Case needed to be Pulled as Timing is off at the "Crank" according to his diagnoses ($2,300 Cost, if done.) I pulled the vehicle and did not authorize the repair, as I felt they were going down the wrong path regarding the P0344 Code relates to the Cam Position Sensor. How could timing be off at the Crank when Phasers on Ban-1 and Bank-2 align correctly at TDC..?

5). Vehicle at home and pulled Both Valve Covers and Intake. Rotated Engine until PHASER Lines on Bank-1 and Arrows were Aligned on Bank-2 and parallel to the Head; then confirmed TDC is "SPOT-ON."
-My Question to the Dealer Tech; If Phaser mark's are Aligned, and TDC Confirmed with marks; how could the Tech at the Dealership say I still need to pull the timing chain cover and re-set timing at the Crank and while there replace the chains and spend $2,300. Did not make sense to myself and other Engine guys I spoke with as other Error Codes would be showing and that's why I pulled the vehicle from the Dealer at that point...felt someone wanted early X-Mas money. The Engine is running very nice, no miss-fire and sounds great.

6). Went to a local Used Auto Yard and PULLED a known working CAM from a 3.6 motor 2012; motor in good shape, but the car had been junked due to accident. Thoughts were to confirm CAM is not Root Cause due to bad magnet on OEM Cam, so get a used known running CAM and swap out. Did the Swap over the weekend and fired up nice, BUT P0344 comes back up. The Engine is running very nice, no miss-fire and sounds great. The vehicle will at times have a Long-Crank and N0-Start situation...But we have had that from the time we brought it home and had Miss-Fire Error and replaced Coils and Plugs, but no miss-fire after replacing the items.

Confirmed; 5Volts to the Cam Position Sensor (CPS) is Good at 3-Pins and 4th Pin Ground...Correct?

At a complete Loss at this point...Open to thoughts from the Forum and appreciate any insight. My son and I have a significant amount of time as you can see in notes above and attached PDF File..just at a total loss and turning in to our favorite JK Money Pit.

P0344 CODE is just a nightmare and want to wake up from it.
Attached Files

Last edited by dsoup1191; 07-24-2020 at 10:39 AM.
Old 07-02-2020, 05:46 PM
Super Moderator

Received 470 Likes on 422 Posts

Where did all the damaged lobe metal shards go? You might do a lot of damage to your engine after these repairs. You need to get your hands on a good professional scanning and programming system - see if you can rent one. Dumb question but ... did you disconnect the battery for about 30 seconds after making the code clears? Sometimes you have to do that to reset the ECU.
Old 07-02-2020, 06:02 PM
JK Newbie

No idea where all the metal went, besides in the Oil and hopefully in the pan to the Filter. Not the original owner, but the prior owner did regular Oil Changes and hopeful the shavings were small over time and pulled from the filter, but know that's wishful thinking. No Prior issues to this; Jeep ran really nice and just figured the Ticking Noise needed further review and bingo we find the bad Rocker Location and CAM Lobe.

Yes, did the Clear Code with Battery and each time confirmed with the Key On/Off 3x to see the Odometer shown "- - - - - - - , DONE" and all Codes Clear.

Had Local Tech read via Scope and noted the "V" Shape on Intake Cam that had been replaced and "\_/" on the Exhaust side. All other readings were good on the Bank-2 side.
Old 07-02-2020, 06:11 PM
JK Newbie

Update; after talking with a local Engine Tech a suggestion of making a "CPS Plug Extension Cord" and plug in to each perspective Side and "FLIP" the Plug to the Opposite CPS. Went to the Junkyard and snagged (2) CPS Plugs with cord and made an CPS Extension Cord. Tested all ends to ensure all Connections were good.
After flipping sides and plugging in, Started the Motor; the motor did a little shudder as it was trying to do what it normal did with one hand and had to flip hands. Received a P0017, P0018, and P0019.

Kept the extensions plugged in and plugged the cords in to the proper CPS and the motor fired up after clearing the codes; the P0344 came back.

The Dealer Tech noted the Timing is OFF at the CRANK, not sure how this could be if TDC is inline with Phasers on both sides, but not fully up to speed on the 3.6 Pentastar Engine and inner workings. So looks like Friday could be the day to pull the Cover Off and confirm all items.

My CPS Extension Cords to run the Test
Old 07-24-2020, 10:37 AM
JK Newbie

Continuing to work on the P0344 (Bank-1); just cannot seem to get through this, Today the main Document at the start of the Thread has the updated PDF File showing all steps performed with images outlined in CAM Replacement and even Timing Chain Replacement recently done.

All Electrical proven Good after Tech did a very good review of Wiring. Interesting looking at the Scope and the Intake CAM that had been Replaced is showing -4.5 Deg. on the Snap-On Solus Utlra system, Bank-2 Intake CAM -2.7 Deg. The system then states CAM Sync State "OUT OF SYNC".

Recap of Items Completed so far...Bank-1 work includes Replacement of Intake CAM, both CAM-Phasers (Intake and Exhaust), Oil Control Valve Bolt Intake side Replaced, CPS Replaced (OEM), 2nd Dairy Timing Chains Replaced both Sides.

At a Complete Loss and appreciate any thoughts; this has a lot of Tech's Stumped.

Out of Sync Reading

Last edited by dsoup1191; 07-24-2020 at 10:58 AM.
Old 07-27-2020, 05:55 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default My Jk 2013

I am going through the same disaster as we speak. I have been to 3 mechanics and one dealer. The dealer says my cam phasers are gummed up and want $2800 to fix. I told him to put it back together and I picked it up. I myself checked all plugs and replaced cam sensors, wheel sensor front and back they were all reading correct speed I even changed cam shaft sensor. Over night the traction control light turns off but still have engine light. It’s a crap shoot when the traction control light comes on, could be an hour into drive or the first quarter of a mile . I’m freaking out! Any progress with yours?
Old 07-28-2020, 08:25 AM
JK Newbie

I think there is a song "Welcome to my Nightmare"...we dropped the JK off at another Dealer on Sunday and waiting for the Tech to call me back.

The Dealer has all my papers that illustrate all the work done and as you can see in the main attachment "PDF" file, we have done a really good job to document this as best we can and pass along the knowledge to others. There has to be a simple "Root Cause" to this; can you tell I am in Engineering/Quality. The local Tech in my area "Pinned" out the Electrical connection to the attached file "JK_P0344_DiagnosticeSteps.PDF". Take a look through the multiple steps to see if there is something in there that could help you out. If I hear anything back in the coming days I will POST it back to the group...there has to be something simple, but just cannot for the life of me find it. The 1st Dealer-Tech noted it would be seen when removing the Chain Case Cover; we removed the Chain Cover, put the engine at TDC on CY#1 with in Indicator and looked at the Crank "Dimple" and it matched Center-Line to the Crank-Bearing Caps as it should per the Service Manual. Only noted the stretch in the Chain on both secondary chains and replaced with OEM Chains. We did not replace the Main Chain as it looked in good shape. After ensuring all items were put together correctly and reviewed the Service Manual in depth along with clearly documented with pictures. The Chain-Case Cover re-installed back on and button the Engine back up and sounds like a sewing machine...BUT STILL P0344 Code w/Engine Light + Traction Control Lights.

I will only say, I feel everyone's Pain on this and amazed that a "Ticking Noise" has cost just shy of $2,000. $800 to the 1st Dealer for saying the CAM-Phasers and Oil Control Vale needed to be replaced after we had replaced the CAM ($325), $156 in Chains; the rest is in Labor with Local Engine Tech that has done everything he can and very much appreciate their help. Not even counting the multiple times my son and I have removed the Valve Covers, Air-Intake, Chain Case Cover, Etc. Have to say, I can now pull either Valve Cover off very efficiently, remove CAM's, Rockers, PCV Valve Screws that are a Pain (got that 25-Torx Bit down pat now.)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
JK_P0344_DiagnosticSteps.pdf (665.9 KB, 202 views)
File Type: pdf
JK_OilGalleryBolts.pdf (109.6 KB, 91 views)
Old 07-28-2020, 11:39 AM
JK Newbie

Thank you for responding back. I have a mechanic looking at it right now, this guy has been fixing my parents cars since I was a kid and has been in business ever since (i'm 54 lol ) . He is insisting that the cam phasers were a shit design one works by spring loaded and the other by centrifugal force. there is very little space from the cam wall to the outside of sensor. Saying there could be enough crap in there to jam them up. I mean maybe ? My jeep does have 108k miles on it. He changed my oil with a additive also to help break down the scum then told me to drive it as much as I can for a week. Then bring it back and he will again change the oil with another additive he showed me the can I dont remember the name. This guy repairs all cars more on foreign but like I said he has been doing this for over 60 years so I figured I'll give it a shot and try a less expensive route first. I am already $600 in the hole with replacement parts/sensors $300 of that is from the dealer just looking at it. Funny this is there first initial idea was to flash the computer I have no idea what that would have done but they did not do it.
Old 07-28-2020, 12:13 PM
JK Newbie

Totally understand...and only two years behind you

Came across a YouTube Channel below and the gentleman has a LOT of 3.6 Pentastar Repair time and have tried reaching out, but not really given much feedback. On his Channel, search out 3.6 Pentastar and watch a few of the Ticking Noise videos. All the same Engines and similar issues, but none of which after CAM Replacement give a P0344. My son and I pulled the CAM from the 2012 Dodge Charger in a salvage yard for $20.00 to prove it was Not the CAM (part numbers are the same for both JK and Charger Cams); money and time well spent as it eliminated that as a potential Root Cause. My neighbor who is a Ford Engine guy on New Builds, continues to say P0344 is a Circuit Code and something is not getting the right signal back from Bank-1. I asked him to figure it out then...LOL!!

Search 3.6 Pentastar on this channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSI...V2jxJvI6YZB21A
Old 07-29-2020, 08:07 AM
JK Newbie

So if I understand correctly you did change the cam phase sensors and the traction control and engine light came on?
The following users liked this post:
Jamaar Mulholland (08-23-2020)

Quick Reply: 2014 JK (P0344 CODE; stop the nightmare)