Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Any gains to be made?

Old 02-18-2014, 05:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any gains to be made?

I own a '13 JK Sport that is bone stock. I'm make plans for some mods once the warranty is up (don't want manufacturer to have any wiggle room).

In the exhaust system under the driver is a small short muffler/resonator; if removed and a straight pipe installed, is there any performance to be gained? And is there any change to the sound of the exhaust?
Old 02-18-2014, 09:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by USMC20yrs
if removed and a straight pipe installed, is there any performance to be gained?
Short answer: no
Long answer: nope

Originally Posted by USMC20yrs
And is there any change to the sound of the exhaust?
You will gain some nice drone on the highway.
Old 02-19-2014, 06:31 AM
Super Moderator

Received 80 Likes on 72 Posts

Even the aftermarket exhaust systems give very little performance increases with these motors. A re-gear will give you the best noticeable increase in performance short of forced induction. If you do a programmer, intake, and exhaust, the three combined will help with the performance. You could always go with Mopar parts if you are worried about warranty.
Old 02-19-2014, 08:55 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im pretty sure cutting something off your exhaust would def be able to void some warranties, probably even your engine if the the dealer really wanted to be a dick.
Old 02-19-2014, 08:57 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AlexjeepVb
Im pretty sure cutting something off your exhaust would def be able to void some warranties, probably even your engine if the the dealer really wanted to be a dick.
It's a chamber used to elimate sound. Removing it won't void you warranty lol. It will make it louder with a deeper tone.
Old 02-19-2014, 11:59 AM
JK Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Is OP talking about the catalytic converter?
Old 02-19-2014, 12:04 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Jiblet
Is OP talking about the catalytic converter?
No the 2012's+ have a resonator between the two axles

OP, if you were to install an aftermarket muffler, removing the resonator would make the sound quite a bit louder and deeper. However, I wouldn't take it off if you're keeping stock muffler
Old 02-21-2014, 06:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

I took off my resonator and changed the stock muffler out for a magnaflow knock off. ... it's still not even close to loud and there is no drone at any highway speed. It did change the sound but not drastically. As far as performance. .meh.... nothing to really notice

Sent while plotting to take over the world!
Old 02-21-2014, 07:25 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by ThwopKing
I took off my resonator and changed the stock muffler out for a magnaflow knock off. ... it's still not even close to loud and there is no drone at any highway speed. It did change the sound but not drastically. As far as performance. .meh.... nothing to really notice Sent while plotting to take over the world!
Maybe you just don't have a loud muffler lol. My flowmaster was pretty damn loud when I took the resonator off. As for gains, yea zero

http://youtu.be/CpBRa5WaTrM
Old 02-21-2014, 07:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

Yeah it's not the race style maggy. ...i still plan on going to something better just for tucking issues.
Oh no mine isn't nearly that loud kh202 ... you have the 3.6?
Sent while plotting to take over the world!

Quick Reply: Any gains to be made?