Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Clicking noise from the diff area

Old 07-02-2013, 04:09 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clicking noise from the diff area

Ok, so my first real problem with the 2012 JK 2DR for me (26K). Lately I have been getting a loud clicking noise coming from down under. It sounds like it is at the rear diff or at the transfer case. It only happens (or I only hear it) at really low speeds, usually when a load is being applied to it. Most of the time it is when I have stopped in front of the house and started to back up the driveway. It does not happen as soon as I step on the gas, but after I've rolled 4-5 feet and the pavement is off camber.

I was thinking that it was suspension, but I've tried to get it to make the noise while parked and jumping on it, and it won't make any noise.

If I took it to the dealer they would think I'm nuts because I can't make it do it on demand.

I'm going to crawl under there this 4th (if it stops raining). Other than looking at the u joints anybody got other ideas on where I shoudl be looking? are there grease fitting on the u joints on the stock DT?

Anybody else have this problem?
Shoudl I let it go until it gets worse and have the dealer look at it?
Old 07-02-2013, 04:21 PM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think I have the same problem when I go over bumps and and then I push on the gas to much I here a click and it kinda pushes forward
Old 07-02-2013, 07:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

I had a bushing go out on the rear passenger shock on my 09 . Would make a popping sound when reversing or Turing when moving forward.
Old 07-02-2013, 07:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

It's the lower control arm.
Old 07-14-2013, 05:06 AM
JK Newbie

Default Got under there and did not see anything

I changed the oil today and tried to look around at the different ideas that you guys gave me and I could not really find anything that was a potential noise maker.

I have to rotate the tires in another 3K, and when I do that I'll look a little harder.

It is likely that I'll have to let it get a lot worse before I find it.
Old 07-18-2013, 01:44 PM
JK Newbie

Default rear end

check the rear end if LDS and put in an additive. The internals are sticking and not releasing.
Old 07-18-2013, 02:18 PM
JK Junkie

I have a metallic click but only disconnected off road. No idea what it is.
I thought first my sway bar e-disco or links. The links are new and still hear the same noise ?
Everything is new up front. U-joints, 1 is new and the other is still good.
Old 07-18-2013, 07:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have the same noises under same condition for months now, it is steadily getting worse.

I seriously suspect the rear diff, its worse backing up, its bad if i pull some car thats stuck in mud, ie just a tow strap and pull click click click.

Doorless its worse going slow, still does it going freeway. But not if im hard on throttle.

Does it most at lower rpm / low motor power and hit gas, let off gas it stops. So its not a coasting rolling suspension issue.

I get a shimmy in steering wheel in low speed corners ie in neighborhood.

I suspect the diff is not releasing one wheel from the other and something in diff is slipping.

Am dropping dif fluid and cover this weekend to look.
Old 07-21-2013, 05:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

Drained diff, removed cover, used brake cleaner to rinse out interior and gears.

Lifted driver rear wheel off the ground, with passenger wheel just barely touching. Idea was if the diff was working properly the driver wheel should spin freely.

Well driver did not spin freely at all, any rotation of drivers caused passenger to equally turn in opposite direction.

Put in 4 lo and locked rear diff mo change, unlocked rear diff no change, albeit it likely need to be rotated a turn or two to engage and disengage, however jack set up etc did not allow me to mess around much.

Fluid removed was liquidy ( not sludge). Black but mot chocolate milk. Build up on drain plug magnet was minimal.

Letting silicone dry, then re-fill diff, then see who knows maybe a whole can o brake clean helped with flushing tiny debris out. Now to read rongenx great write up on rear diff n locker to understand its operation. Will report back what fresh fluid does for it.
Old 07-21-2013, 06:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

Reading, thanks ronjenx you are a very appreciated poster !

I would say my rear locker is jammed up.

First two pics are my rear end, third is thanks to ronjenx !
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2139878441.jpg
Views:	377
Size:	78.3 KB
ID:	480543   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3025536644.jpg
Views:	345
Size:	39.0 KB
ID:	480544   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3798095414.jpg
Views:	394
Size:	98.7 KB