Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Electronic Throttle Control - Warning Light - need help

Old 06-24-2007, 11:58 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Electronic Throttle Control - Warning Light - need help

The ETC - 'Electronic Throttle Warning Light' came on -

Anybody else have this problem -

If I turn Jeep off then restart it runs rough - but then if I turn it off and restart it runs OK - Warning light is on either case -

Please let me know you experience with this -
Old 06-24-2007, 12:09 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just found great info on another forum -

It gave instructions on how to reset the sensor -

Jeep engine off -

Turn Key to 'on' - Press excelerator' for a few seconds then release -

When I did this the warning light went off -

So now I will see how it does when I drive it later -
Old 06-24-2007, 12:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have had to do the same process when ever I have had to just my ZJ off when the battery dies.

Sometimes the computer stores a bad reading or sensor program which causes the problem. If it continues to resurface, it's probably a dealer trip.
Old 06-24-2007, 07:14 PM
JK Newbie

Mine goes on and off at will
I think this has to do with the electronics problem a lot of JKs have
I actually had mine replaced (the electronic throttle control box) under warranty at the dealer - the minute I drove off, it came back on again. Sometimes I do not see it for days, then it shows up constantly. At this point I have a solution - IGNORE IT ! That is me.....- Until we get this recal about the Stall Bug I dont think there will be a fix for the throttle control problem.
Old 06-24-2007, 09:34 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I've had my JK in the dealership 3 times for this problem before they determined that a wiring harness needed to be replaced. Apparently, this is a problem Chrysler is aware of and are fixing this problem as they come up.
Old 06-25-2007, 04:29 AM
JK Newbie

you may want to search through the forums for "ETC" - my JK was at the dealer's three times before the problem was fixed. in my case, it was a bad wiring harness on the throttle body. DC told my dealer that some of the connectors may have been damaged at the plant... once this wiring harness was replaced, my problem seemed to go away.

(knock on wood)
Old 06-25-2007, 09:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wayoflife
I've had my JK in the dealership 3 times for this problem before they determined that a wiring harness needed to be replaced. Apparently, this is a problem Chrysler is aware of and are fixing this problem as they come up.
Not to be a bearer of bad news, but that fix does not work. I had mine in 4 different times for this issue.

1. Reflash the computer
2. Replace the PCM
3. Replace entire throttle body unit
4. Replace wiring harness for throttle body

5 days after the 4th dealer fix the light came on. At this point, I'm sick of this crap and just ignore the issue. I ended up getting a free 100k mile 7 year maximum care warranty out of it when I escalated the issue to Chrysler corporate and figure if the thing craps out, the warranty will cover it.

Unless something new has come out, there is NO FIX for this and the light WILL come back on.

Chysler sucks.
Old 06-25-2007, 09:28 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by SaleenPowr
Not to be a bearer of bad news, but that fix does not work. I had mine in 4 different times for this issue.

1. Reflash the computer
2. Replace the PCM
3. Replace entire throttle body unit
4. Replace wiring harness for throttle body

5 days after the 4th dealer fix the light came on. At this point, I'm sick of this crap and just ignore the issue. I ended up getting a free 100k mile 7 year maximum care warranty out of it when I escalated the issue to Chrysler corporate and figure if the thing craps out, the warranty will cover it.

Unless something new has come out, there is NO FIX for this and the light WILL come back on.

Chysler sucks.
i seem to remember you posting something similar a little while back... that truly sucks. how many miles did you put on your JK between the last service call and the reappearance of the lightning bolt? i'm at about 2000 miles since they replaced the wiring harness on the throttle body, and so far so good.

i went through a similar sequence to you - they replaced the control module first (because even though my dealer traced the trouble to the throttle body, DC insisted that it had to be the control module), then the throttle body, and then the throttle body wiring harness. my understanding (based on conversations with the head mechanic at my dealer) is that there was a whole batch of screwed-up harnesses. could it be possible that your dealer simply replaced one bad one with another?

before the new wiring harness, i wasn't able to go two consecutive days without the stupid light coming on. since then it hasn't lit up once.

it might just be a spot of good luck, but i'll take that.
Old 06-25-2007, 03:30 PM
JK Newbie

Yes, this happened to us for the first time yesterday. The engine died and then we saw the lightening bolt warning sign. We started it up and it was fine yesterday but we took it to the dealer today. They had to keep it overnight so we don't yet know anything about it.
Old 06-25-2007, 06:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Just happened to me, pulled into a parking lot and check the manual for what it was. Turned off the ignition, started it back up and its gone...we'll see where it goes from here...its just "another" issue for my rubi...

Quick Reply: Electronic Throttle Control - Warning Light - need help