Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Engine Problem--Need serious Help!!

Old 11-15-2012, 03:59 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Did your oil change light ever come on? That may be something to get the dealership to cover part of the cost if it didn't. If it didn't it means either it isn't working and should be, or that it wasn't over 6000 miles overdue from the last change (I know it isn't on mileage but a combination of temperature, starts, mileage etc that sets mine off if I forget to reset it when I change oil) Are you sure they didn't say over 6000 miles since the last change? If you had it done at the dealership they will have a record of the miles when it was last done, if at a quick/fast lube or sears/walmart they may also have a record of the miles. If you did it yourself probably no record of the purchase of the oil and filter.

Bearings never get better and when you start putting copper/aluminum into the oil from a set going bad you start to cause other issues with things like the valve train, oil pump and camshaft. I wouldn't go with a short block, and if you can remember to check the oil when you get gas you can keep your replacement healthy for quite a long time. Personally I would go with the warranty, you can see how fast costs add up if this happened again due to an issue with a replacement engine and most failures due to faulty parts or workmanship will surface before the end of a three year warranty if you use the Jeep enough.

Edit: If you get it done somewhere besides the dealership you should be able to get a warranty from them too and it will probably be quite a bit less expensive.

Last edited by zstairlessone; 11-15-2012 at 04:02 PM.
Old 11-15-2012, 06:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My daughter just did this to her Mazda. There is a shop in Chesapeake VA that is remanufacturing engines. They are estimating 2500 for the Mazda Engine. That price includes shipping to and back. Check the internet to see if you can find them. If not pm me and I'll give you the name. If you're in NC you may be able to drive to them and have them do all the work for than the dealer. Good Luck.
Old 11-15-2012, 06:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

Perhaps post a vid so we can actually hear what is going? is it horrendously bad that you cant drive it?
Old 11-15-2012, 07:24 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here is my advice

You live in Charlotte!!!!!

There are tons of these 3.8's around

Heck here is one in your area 300 miles 2200$

http://charlotte.craigslist.org/pts/3315331229.html

Plus you have tons of 4x4 places in the Greenville area rock hill area and Charlotte area and I am for sure tons of engines available.

Save some money heck you could probably talk the guy down on the 2011 engine.
Old 11-15-2012, 08:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by zstairlessone
Did your oil change light ever come on? That may be something to get the dealership to cover part of the cost if it didn't. If it didn't it means either it isn't working and should be, or that it wasn't over 6000 miles overdue from the last change (I know it isn't on mileage but a combination of temperature, starts, mileage etc that sets mine off if I forget to reset it when I change oil) Are you sure they didn't say over 6000 miles since the last change? If you had it done at the dealership they will have a record of the miles when it was last done, if at a quick/fast lube or sears/walmart they may also have a record of the miles. If you did it yourself probably no record of the purchase of the oil and filter.

Bearings never get better and when you start putting copper/aluminum into the oil from a set going bad you start to cause other issues with things like the valve train, oil pump and camshaft. I wouldn't go with a short block, and if you can remember to check the oil when you get gas you can keep your replacement healthy for quite a long time. Personally I would go with the warranty, you can see how fast costs add up if this happened again due to an issue with a replacement engine and most failures due to faulty parts or workmanship will surface before the end of a three year warranty if you use the Jeep enough.

Edit: If you get it done somewhere besides the dealership you should be able to get a warranty from them too and it will probably be quite a bit less expensive.
The first time it came on was the day I was driving it into the dealership. And it was just a random beep and light...It wasnt till the second time it went off that I realized that it was the oil light.
I know it was around 6000 over due...but it wont hurt to ask if they can look into that! Anything to save a few bucks.

I also asked about that...I felt I was better off going with a full new engine. A little more expensive, but not having to worry about more parts going bad. I am kind of leaning towards just shelling out the money and having the dealer put the warranty on it so if anything more happens (with out my fault) They will fix it for free
Old 11-15-2012, 08:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RobtTxRubi
My daughter just did this to her Mazda. There is a shop in Chesapeake VA that is remanufacturing engines. They are estimating 2500 for the Mazda Engine. That price includes shipping to and back. Check the internet to see if you can find them. If not pm me and I'll give you the name. If you're in NC you may be able to drive to them and have them do all the work for than the dealer. Good Luck.
I will look into it...thanks for that. I may just PM you to save the hassle of searching
Old 11-15-2012, 08:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Chadc880
Here is my advice

You live in Charlotte!!!!!

There are tons of these 3.8's around

Heck here is one in your area 300 miles 2200$

2011 Jeep Engine

Plus you have tons of 4x4 places in the Greenville area rock hill area and Charlotte area and I am for sure tons of engines available.

Save some money heck you could probably talk the guy down on the 2011 engine.
Oh wow thanks! I will have to look into this! I just spoke with a shop in Charlotte today that said they could work a good price if I brought in my own parts.

Hopefully he is willing to work with me on the price!
Old 11-15-2012, 11:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

1. I don't want to sound like a dick.... but 6K miles PAST your oil change. Well, was that 6K miles past the recommend 3K mile change or 6K miles past the light (which usually comes on every 6000-7500 miles)? Anyhow, 9-13K miles...yea, you're going to burn oil. Yes, it's you're responsibility to check the oil level. No, it's not the dealership's fault if you run out of oil. Yes, you'll lose you're a$$ in a court of law if you try to state otherwise.

2. The suggestions for an independent (rebuilt) motor with a shop install will save you $$. Average 3.8 Jeep engines are $1K to 1.5K. Install is usually around 2$. Thus, you should be able to save $$ from the dealership quote.
Old 11-15-2012, 11:38 PM
JK Freak

I'm in no way defending what happened but 9000 on the same oil isn't detrimental. What is detrimental is not checking the level of your oil for that long. 3000 mile oil changes especially on any synth is a waste of oil. 5-6000 is more practical. 9000 isn't bad under ideal conditions.

Running with no oil is embarrassing for a man. Once every few gas stops, pop the hood and check your fluids. Coolant and oil at least. Feel the testosterone flow.
Old 11-16-2012, 05:40 AM
JK Freak

Check this one out - for sale right in your neck of the woods. █►Jeep Wrangler JK-TJ-YJ Parts & Others

Get the engine for $800-$900 and then find a mechanic who will work with you to install. Good luck -

Quick Reply: Engine Problem--Need serious Help!!