Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Engine Problem--Need serious Help!!

Old 11-16-2012, 07:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Schantin
1. I don't want to sound like a dick.... but 6K miles PAST your oil change. Well, was that 6K miles past the recommend 3K mile change or 6K miles past the light (which usually comes on every 6000-7500 miles)? Anyhow, 9-13K miles...yea, you're going to burn oil. Yes, it's you're responsibility to check the oil level. No, it's not the dealership's fault if you run out of oil. Yes, you'll lose you're a$$ in a court of law if you try to state otherwise.

2. The suggestions for an independent (rebuilt) motor with a shop install will save you $$. Average 3.8 Jeep engines are $1K to 1.5K. Install is usually around 2$. Thus, you should be able to save $$ from the dealership quote.
No worries on sounding like a dick...I guess this is where my "Young immaturity" shows through. It was about 6K since my last oil change. I dont have exact numbers. I would have to reach out to the dealer to get those.

But yea I have reached out to 2 individuals about getting a cheaper rebuilt motor
Old 11-16-2012, 07:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bigmike17
Check this one out - for sale right in your neck of the woods. █►Jeep Wrangler JK-TJ-YJ Parts & Others

Get the engine for $800-$900 and then find a mechanic who will work with you to install. Good luck -
I reached out to him last night...and another guy who has a 2011 engine with 300 miles on it asking for $2200.
Old 11-16-2012, 07:46 AM
JK Freak

Great - hope it all works out well for you.

I know the last thing you really needed were several lectures about not checking your oil...I sensed you "got that" already. It's an expensive lesson to learn, but at least you have some options to help lower the cost.
Old 11-16-2012, 08:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

I just spoke with a shop who said they would "Rebuild" the engine. For half the price everyone else wants to charge me...is that a better idea? Or should I just stick with getting a new engine.
Explained to him what happened and he quoted me $2400 out the door as long as there isnt a hole in the engine. with a 2yr/24k Mile warranty
Old 11-17-2012, 08:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

I'd go with the 2011 engine, less miles and verify it's a removal motor for a v-8 swap. And not a motor like yours, might be best to have your college legal assistance atty if they have one draw up a bill of sale that binds the seller that the engine is not faulty or burned up.
Old 11-17-2012, 10:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

Just took mine to the stealer ship for oil change and mine was almost three quarts low. I change my oil religiously every three thousand miles. I too started hearing a knock so decided to check the oil and found it to be low. Originally stealership said it was normal to burn that much oil between oil changes over the phone. After a few choice words from me the rep had me bring it in for a consumption test. They sealed the dip stick and oil cap. I have to bring it back in thirty days to find out how much oil I went through. O yeah knock is still there. This one us gonna be on them. 42,300 miles that's it

Quick Reply: Engine Problem--Need serious Help!!