Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Factory Seat Covers

Old 04-05-2019, 06:03 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 63 Likes on 58 Posts
Default Factory Seat Covers

I'm sure someone has already gone through with this question before, but I can't seem to find it:

I have a 2013 2-door Rubicon, I have a line on a set of factory Rubicon 4-door covers. New take offs, at what I feel is a reasonable price. I know the back seats are different, but from everything I can see the fronts should be interchangeable. Does anyone know for sure? I know many of the aftermarket covers work for two or four door front seats, but wasn't sure about the actual factory covers.

Thanks,

Trevor
Old 04-05-2019, 07:09 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,825 Likes on 1,595 Posts

I am highly certain that the "skins" for the front seats are exactly the same, although, I can't say beyond a shadow of a doubt. If it were me, I'd feel confident enough to buy em if the price was right.

I've installed leather in my 4dr. I'm not certain if the 2dr tumble seats might be harder to disassemble or not, but I can tell you it was worthwhile for me to separate the base from the back when installing skins. I had previously wrestled with these to install seat heaters and that was a major pain in the ass trying to do while the seat was assembled.
Old 04-05-2019, 10:01 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by resharp001
I am highly certain that the "skins" for the front seats are exactly the same, although, I can't say beyond a shadow of a doubt. If it were me, I'd feel confident enough to buy em if the price was right.

I've installed leather in my 4dr. I'm not certain if the 2dr tumble seats might be harder to disassemble or not, but I can tell you it was worthwhile for me to separate the base from the back when installing skins. I had previously wrestled with these to install seat heaters and that was a major pain in the ass trying to do while the seat was assembled.
Right on. That's kinda what I was thinking, if they don't work I can probably get my money back out of them. If I do end up getting them I'll be taking them to an upholstery shop. I've got a pretty good hole started in the driver side seat base, so I will be needing some foam work done anyway.
Old 04-05-2019, 06:17 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by tjkamp
Right on. That's kinda what I was thinking, if they don't work I can probably get my money back out of them. If I do end up getting them I'll be taking them to an upholstery shop. I've got a pretty good hole started in the driver side seat base, so I will be needing some foam work done anyway.
Member eharris looked at getting an upholstery shop to rebuild the foam and the quote was pricey (out in Cali, but still) -

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modi...1/#post4324256

I'd be curious to hear the kinda quotes you receive if you look in to it. If it's just the one base foam, you might be able to find just the one piece on ebay or salvage site.
Old 04-06-2019, 07:47 AM
Super Moderator

Received 78 Likes on 72 Posts

I just finally went with the Mastercrafts and I was glad I did. Pricey yes but good support from their company and the seats are very comfortable. A big game changer for the daily driver and long road trips.

I've got my old seats up on CL for $50 a piece. Not sure where you are located but I'd be willing to let them go cheaper for a member if you are interested. It would allow you to shop for getting seats fixed while being able to run a second pair.
Old 04-06-2019, 06:49 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by EHarris
I just finally went with the Mastercrafts and I was glad I did. Pricey yes but good support from their company and the seats are very comfortable. A big game changer for the daily driver and long road trips.

I've got my old seats up on CL for $50 a piece. Not sure where you are located but I'd be willing to let them go cheaper for a member if you are interested. It would allow you to shop for getting seats fixed while being able to run a second pair.
I appreciate the offer , and the advice.

I'm in south Texas, so I think it's a no-go on the seats.

If my drivers seat didn't have a hole I wouldn't care that much, just really don't like the hole. Would much rather put money towards hydro-assist, or a re-gear, rear upper control arms, or... well y'all know how the list goes...

I haven't gotten any quotes yet on the repair, but I did find that Rock Auto has the entire lower cushion foam for $130, so now I am contemplating getting one and a set of hog ring pliers to go with the new covers, and just going after it myself. I hate paying shops for things I can figure out on my own. I know everyone's gotta eat, but the price gouging on the parts really ticks me off. The last time I had something done, I ended up getting hit for $550 worth of parts that I could have gotten on RockAuto for $180. Still stinging from that one.
Old 04-06-2019, 08:35 PM
Super Moderator

Received 78 Likes on 72 Posts

Yea especially as the mileage goes higher and vehicle gets older putting money in gets difficult.

Maybe a junk yard would have better luck on some newer quality?
Old 04-07-2019, 02:56 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

I know hog rings are the right way to go about doing the seat but I found myself unprepared while doing a heated seat installation and ended up using zip ties through the existing holes and around the structure. It's been a few years now and the factory material isn't coming loose, it's just as tight as it has always been.

Car-part.com would be where I'd check for seats if you're interested in finding junkyard items. I found a hood for around $300, but it was my color. They took in my old hood and gave me credit towards the newer hood. So just because they have a price listed doesn't mean that's it, usually there's wiggle room. LKQ online is another auto dismantler that will typically deliver too.
Old 04-07-2019, 06:37 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by karls10jk
I know hog rings are the right way to go about doing the seat but I found myself unprepared while doing a heated seat installation and ended up using zip ties through the existing holes and around the structure. It's been a few years now and the factory material isn't coming loose, it's just as tight as it has always been.
I did the same thing with zip ties and have had zero issues in 5+ years. They were even the thinnest little ones you typically find.

Someone has a new avatar

Quick Reply: Factory Seat Covers