Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

JK popping out of 1st

Old 10-05-2010, 06:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Red
It happened to me. Took forever and a day for the dealer to finally be able to reproduce the fault. New tranny went in couple days later. They said something about not doing work on the internal parts of a tranny. The tranny was sent back to Jeep, and we later got a fault report back. Please forgive the very non-technical description here, but it is what the service manager, who is also head of sales, the secretary, and the janitor, told me. (Yeah, its a small dealership.) Apparently there is a ball bearing in the tranny somewhere that does something with first gear, and it is in a cage, but the cage is weak and has a tendency to break and then then ball bearing falls out and since the bearing doesn't seat anymore, it won't stay in first. I'm a mechanic, but trannys arn't my specialty. I just kinda said okay and let it go. I had a new tranny, and haven't had problems since. Hope that sheds some light on the situation.
This is exactly what happened to me. Had the whole transmission replaced under warranty at about 12k. At 27k now, haven't had an issue with the new trans. I heard they reinforced the bearing and created a better "cage" around it (so if the bearing came out again, it wouldn't fly around and cause more damage) in the new trans.
Old 10-06-2010, 06:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

After 3 days in the shop and weeks of waiting for all the tools needed it is fixed. It has been fixed for 5 days and no popping yet but I am waiting nervously for it to happen again. They claim to have had trouble "heating a part" or something. I know little about trannys so I have to take them at their word. Thank god I have a lifetime warranty.
1 question though - if I do gears will this void my warranty?
Old 10-06-2010, 06:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

I believe there is more than one cause for this, mine only does it occasionally but only when it's cold outside, but after I drive a short bit and warm it up it doesn't do it.
If it only does it when it's cold outside and stops after it warms up from driving, it's the inner boot. If it does it all the time, hot, cold or whatever you have some issues internally.
I may be wrong, but I thought I would toss in the two different experiences I have read about and experienced so that people with this issue can see which catagory they fall into.

Quick Reply: JK popping out of 1st