Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Manual Transmission Oil Change

Old 07-31-2007, 10:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Stooge
I used a tool I made for the same sized plugs on my BMW. From my nut and bolt kit, I got a No. 10 one half inch bolt with a 14 mm head. I screwed on two 14 mm nuts (9/16" works too) with black loc-tite and aligned the nuts. I cut off the excess bolt length down to the two nuts, and then preened the bolt with a hammer to ensure the nuts would not back off. You then insert this into the plug and loosen/tighted with the nut/bolt "jig" using a box-end wrench, being careful that the "jig" remains fully engaged in the plug to not risk rounding it off. I'm also pretty sure you could use a properly (big) sized allen wrench to do this too, but the nut/bolt "jig" works well here.

I checked the the manual and all it says is to drain it. Not once does it address the fact that the exhaust pipe is directly under the plug that I need to get to.

I like your idea and I think that I will make something similar to what you described. So the drain plug is basically a 14mm head size?
Old 08-01-2007, 06:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

Here is a picture of the drain plug and the fill plug. I had to make something to get to it. The fill plug is a 9/16 or was it 7/16? I do not remember what the drain was, but it was larger than a 15mm and smaller than an 18mm. There has to be a tool to change this. If anyone knows a service guy who can tell us what he uses please chime in.

Here is one of the drain plug bolt.

And the royal purple made a big difference in how the trans shifts. I also did the rear end and on the way to work this am I was seeing a little better than a 1 mpg improvement over what it was before. My route is the same everyday and I use the cruise on the toll road set at 72-73 mph. I will know what the over all gain is once I get through a tank or two.

Last edited by Omega Man; 08-01-2007 at 06:54 AM.
Old 08-02-2007, 04:25 AM
JK Newbie

Yep - you got it. Exactly what I did. Not how the drain plug as NO clearance above the exhaust.
Old 08-02-2007, 04:27 AM
JK Newbie

And, the same fits my 2006 Z4 Bimmer. The BMW Stealership wanted $35 bucks for the "tool" - no thanks - the nut/bolt arrangement works well.
Old 08-09-2007, 04:30 PM
urbikesucks

Default right on brother

stooge good sh1t when i saw the location after looking under the jeep i almost cryed all kinds of crazy junk up in there. I have a question for you guys that have changed your mt fluid what kind did you use?? RP, REDLINE, AMSOIL

Thanks,

This sight has been vary helpful!!!!!
Old 08-11-2007, 06:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have a pretty good hex key collection, so I decided to go out and see what size these plugs are. The drain plug is impossible to get to with a hex key because of the exhaust, but measured it and it appears to be a 17mm. This is the same size the drain plug was on my TJ 6speed tranny, so that makes sense.

The fill plug is somewhere between a 9/16" and 1/2", as I have both hex keys and it was right between these 2 sizes. It appears to be metric and is probably a 15mm or 16mm.
Old 08-12-2007, 06:56 AM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Stooge
As a note - all of the 6-speed manual transmissions in the 07 Wranglers are German-build trannies - thus all of these owners will have the drain plug access problem with the exhaust pipe routing. One indicator of a "German" tranny is its use of fill plugs that require a special tool to remove (e.g. a 14 mm/ 9/16 nut) - just like the BMW's and MB's.

The tranny calls for a special fluid (I forget the Chrysler spec number) but it is a non-extreme pressure fluid with a viscosity of 5w30. Amsoil sells this oil as MTF - Manual Transmission Fluid 5w30.

And yes, changing the fluid has taken alot of the "notchiness" from the transmission.

Also of note is the AC condensate drain, which allows the water to drip directly on the clutch actuator - can't be good for the longterm with all that water dripping on this piece.
I've noticed this too....and it can't be good. When I get home from work my 2dr jk sounds like its frying bacon from all the condensation dripping. It looks like its going down and then ending up right on the exhaust.

That drain location is a total bitch. I'm going to have to take a look at this when I change my engine oil. Sounds like shifting is a lot smoother when the MT fluid is changed.
Old 08-12-2007, 09:22 AM
urbikesucks

Exclamation correct size for trans

does anyone know the correct size for trans drain and for the ones using royal purple what are you using in your man trans and how much?

Thanks in advance for all your help..

Last edited by urbikesucks; 08-12-2007 at 09:26 AM.
Old 09-09-2007, 03:58 AM
JK Freak

Any find out how to remove the bottom plug?? And if everyone is using the top one what about cleaning the metal contaminents from the plug? WAYOFLIFE have you gotten this done?
Old 09-09-2007, 04:40 AM
JK Newbie

Changed mine yesterday and used Amsoil. Went to Lowe's and bought the nuts and bolts . 17mm for the drain and 14mm for the fill. The drain magnet was covered with shavings. Took less than 2 quarts. I don't notice much difference in the shifting. Still glad I did it.

Quick Reply: Manual Transmission Oil Change