Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Oil Filter Recommendation

Old 05-28-2007, 05:18 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by IGOFSHN
Who uses a wrench. If you need a filter wrench, you have it on too tight.
Yeah, you go ahead and keep hand tightening your oil filter. For the other 99.9999999% of us we will keep tightening them to spec. as instructed from day one on the filter box and in the service manual. Oh, by the way, the K&N filter might actually be a good idea for you because it has holes in the end for safety wiring. That way when your hand tightened oil filter vibrates loose it will be dangling from the wire and you can screw it back on.
Old 05-28-2007, 05:36 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Zylfrax791
Yeah, you go ahead and keep hand tightening your oil filter. For the other 99.9999999% of us we will keep tightening them to spec. as instructed from day one on the filter box and in the service manual. Oh, by the way, the K&N filter might actually be a good idea for you because it has holes in the end for safety wiring. That way when your hand tightened oil filter vibrates loose it will be dangling from the wire and you can screw it back on.
I have always hand tightened my filters. They have never come loose. In addition, I have never, ever read anything stating that they should be tightened beyond that. The K&N filter nut end is to allow you to remove it more easily. But, you can go ahead and tighten it with a wrench and break off your threaded nipple if you want to. After tightening by hand, I have had trouble in the past getting them off though. Sometimes I have needed a filter wrench for removal.

Last edited by Shoal Creek; 05-28-2007 at 05:39 PM.
Old 05-28-2007, 05:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

i am a student in tech school and before that i was a oil changer at a local garage and we always put filters on hand tight and here we are also told to put them on hand tight acording to the ase books we get

Last edited by 08 rubi; 05-28-2007 at 05:49 PM.
Old 05-28-2007, 05:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bodybrdng
curiosity.. do putting a different oil filter in make that much of a difference? Is it worth it?
yes if the filter is the wrong size it can leak or cause you to have poor oil filtraion
Old 05-28-2007, 06:05 PM
TEV
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I always tighten my filters as tight as I can get it with one hand.
Old 05-28-2007, 06:55 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, I hate to break it to you guys but you are doing it wrong. Can't believe you think that just hand tightening and oil filter is standard operating proceadure because its not. Coming from the oil change guy it doesn't surprise me as the oil filters installed by the Jiffy Lube places come off all the time. Just do a search and you'll see the oil filters put on by those quicky lube places come loose and fall off all the time. In fact, a guy I used to work with had a buddy who used to replace at least 1 motor a month from just such an event.

There is actually a torque spec for oil filters for most applications, either you just never paid attention or bothered to look it up. 17-25 foot pounds would be typical depending on size. Kinda difficult to torque an oil filter unless it has the nut on the end like the K&N but a general guideline would be hand tighten and then another 1/4-1/2 turn with oil filter wrench. Be sure and put some oil on the gasket and the threads, check that the old gasket isn't stuck to the block and put some oil in the filter if possible, hand tighten then 1/4-1/2 turn with oil filter wrench or torqued to 17-25 foot pounds is what I was taught.
Old 05-28-2007, 07:11 PM
JK Freak

Well, I hate to break it to you guys but you are doing it wrong. Can't believe you think that just hand tightening and oil filter is standard operating proceadure because its not. Coming from the oil change guy it doesn't surprise me as the oil filters installed by the Jiffy Lube places come off all the time. Just do a search and you'll see the oil filters put on by those quicky lube places come loose and fall off all the time. In fact, a guy I used to work with had a buddy who used to replace at least 1 motor a month from just such an event.

There is actually a torque spec for oil filters for most applications, either you just never paid attention or bothered to look it up. 17-25 foot pounds would be typical depending on size. Kinda difficult to torque an oil filter unless it has the nut on the end like the K&N but a general guideline would be hand tighten and then another 1/4-1/2 turn with oil filter wrench. Be sure and put some oil on the gasket and the threads, check that the old gasket isn't stuck to the block and put some oil in the filter if possible, hand tighten then 1/4-1/2 turn with oil filter wrench or torqued to 17-25 foot pounds is what I was taught.
Been doing it by hand for 35 years. How in the world have I not had a failure????
Old 05-28-2007, 07:19 PM
JK Freak

All the literature I have read, and found online, along with being taught by others when I was a kid, it states to tighten your filter finger tight. Then with your hands tighten another ¼ to ½ a turn. Some say a ¾ turn. Any more than this might distort the seal. What you are saying is true, I know some owners manuals have TQ specs. For the record, I have done my filters this way from day 2 over 14 years ago. I had one failure on day 1 at age 15. I tightened it with a wrench 1.5 more turns after finger tight, and guess what, it screwed up the seal and oil leaked. Never had a filter fall off yet with this method.

Last edited by JKJoe; 05-28-2007 at 07:24 PM.
Old 05-28-2007, 07:29 PM
JK Freak

This is from the quaker state web site:
11. Place a light coating of new oil on the gasket of the new oil filter so it will install smoothly onto the engine. (Note: do not use grease) By hand, install the new oil filter onto the engine by turning in a clockwise direction. Once the oil filter gasket first contacts the engine, tighten the oil filter according to the directions for your application (usually found on the new filter box), preferably by hand. Generally, this is 3/4 to 1 full turn after the filter gasket contacts the engine

http://www.quakerstate.com/pages/carcare/oilchange.asp

So who is doing it wrong?????
Old 05-29-2007, 02:43 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by kdubber
I Fram'd it...............thanks!
Sorry to hear that....FRAM is one of the worst , so is MOPAR. Next time get MOBIL-1 oil and filter............. I always have and will tighten the filter by hand , some people might have a weak grip and need to use a wrench...........

Last edited by clubber; 05-29-2007 at 03:23 AM.

Quick Reply: Oil Filter Recommendation