Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Oil leak question

Old 02-09-2009, 02:35 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by SDJK
Mine was leaking there also-I thought it was the rear main and it turned out to be an intake gasket-dealer repaired and no more leaks
This further illustrates the need to do some good investigating when it comes to leaks. You can't always expect the dealer to take the time. Often the source is not the point from which it drips.
Old 02-09-2009, 03:29 PM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Lorrel
Thanks for pointing that out. I would have never thought a leak up front would so up in the rear.
Read the TSB. The timing cover can make it look like it's leakin from all kinda places.
Old 02-09-2009, 05:41 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My vote is the timing chain cove. My leaked and was replaced at the dealership. FREE
Old 02-11-2009, 11:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

Mine seems to be just around the lowest bolt on the bolthead side. Again, not wet or dripping, just kinda dirty and when I wipe it with my finger it's black like oil. Hopefully just needs to be retorqued back down. Anyone know the torque specs on these?
Old 02-11-2009, 12:53 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by MELONHED
Mine seems to be just around the lowest bolt on the bolthead side. Again, not wet or dripping, just kinda dirty and when I wipe it with my finger it's black like oil. Hopefully just needs to be retorqued back down. Anyone know the torque specs on these?
Earlier you said "I've got the same lookin thing". So I take it your leak looks like it is at the bell housing.
Retorquing the bell housing bolt won't do anything for you as far as preventing leakage.
Old 02-11-2009, 01:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ronjenx
Earlier you said "I've got the same lookin thing". So I take it your leak looks like it is at the bell housing.
Retorquing the bell housing bolt won't do anything for you as far as preventing leakage.
I'll post a pic when i get a chance.
Old 02-12-2009, 09:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

Here's mine:

Old 02-15-2009, 01:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Mine looks similar to that I have the 6 speed and just had the intake manifold gasket replaced but looks like it is still leaking out of the bell housing some not really dripping just wet with oil even after wiping off a day or two later it will return dealer doesnt want to do anything about it they said it is residual from the intake gasket well that was 4500 miles ago the fixed it and when I changed my oil it was a qt low with 4000 on the oil I think it may be burning it too but not seeing any smoke though. I will wait and see what this oil change cycle shows.
Old 02-15-2009, 06:00 PM
JK Newbie

I have had to replace a couple rear main seals on these already. When the rear main leaks oil fills up in the bell housing and continuous to leak there unless its cleaned out.

Quick Reply: Oil leak question