Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Re-installing Transmission oil pan bolt problems!!

Old 11-30-2010, 03:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Next question...I was in Chicago this past weekend and just got back last night. I took one bolt with me and stopped at an Ace Hardware on the north side and started looking for a hex version of the bolt. Figured I would pick up like 4 of them and replace all the hard to reach bolts. So anyway...I started looking and realized I didn't know if the bolt was H8 or 5/16th. Metric or standard. I have been surprised (Jeep is my first American made vehicle) by how may bolts have been metric on the Jeep. Are all of them metric?

Also, of course Ace had some H8 bolts, but they were either 10mm or 20mm long. These bolts are ~15mm. So even if it was H8 I couldn't get the right length. I kept looking and found H8-15mm in stainless bolts, BUT they were coarse threading. Obviously not right and there is no way in hell I am going to strip a tranny bolt hole. Does anyone know the exact specs on these bolts? I am heading into my nearest town (Lafayette, IN) today to give it another shot and get some other shopping done. I am trying to remember if Home Depot has the thing where you can screw the bolt into something that confirms its size and threading. Ace just had one of those plastic gauges and H8 and 5/16 were too close to tell the difference.

So yeah...if this doesn't work I am gonna go ahead and loosen/remove a crossmember and jack up the tranny at this point like RobtTxRubi did.
Old 12-01-2010, 07:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Success!!

"It's a Thanksgiving Miracle, Charlie Brown!" ~Linus

There are very few words to describe the relief I am feeling right now. Transmission oil pan installed!!! Took under 10 minutes. I would like to thank the local hardware shops that are responsible for helping me acquire all the bolts and tools I needed. Lowes and Home Depot have managed to put too many of them out of business and then not carry half the inventory they need to.

Here are the details and some pictures....

OEM 13 Bolts (all identical; yes even the threadlocked one):

M8 (Metric 8mm)
1.25 Pitch
15mm

Hex head Replacement bolt specs:
M8
1.25 pitch
16mm (16mm - 1mm Flat washer = 15mm)

I purchased these replacement bolts from a local hardware store, but unfortunately I had to buy a box of them....yeah...I now have 98 of the 100 left. Cost me $26, BUT I went back to Lowes to continue looking for a 6mm hex-ball tool and stumbled across an exact hex head bolt for $1.37 for 2 of them. I guess I should have saved the capital BUT for now....these bolts were NOT 16mm...I had 5 of the new bolts in my pocket from the 100 pack and they were all identical and matched the OEM bolt perfectly...the ones from Lowes weren't even close. I swear the 1 was 2mm longer and the other 1mm shorter and they were in the same package. Long story short I am happy I went with a more QC minded company.

I will post another thread in the forsale or whatever section (never look; too poor) and offer up the rest of these hex bolts, most likely for free. They are less than 1oz for two of them so I can throw them in an envelope with a stamp and send them on their way. It's the least I could do after the help I've received from this forum. You'll still need 1mm M8 flat washers and the 6mm hex-ball allen key, but it's a start.

Again..with the tool, if you don't have a decent local hardware store you might want to order this online. You will need a 6mm (M6) hex-ball allen key. Cost me $1.99, they opened a package to give me one from a set since they were all out of the singles. Ace wanted $26 for a set of 7 keys and HD/Lowes didn't even know what I was talking about. I am new to this area (wife grew up here) and haven't hunted out the good local stores since they are still 40 minutes away (I know its not very local), but they have just gained a customer for life!

No comments on the RTV application, I was way sloppier last time and found when taking it off that it was fine...so this is cleaner and will be fine, just giving it 24 hours of cure time (small heater under jeep) before fluid hits it. Probably excessive, but piece of mind...

Here are some pictures:
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5569_small.jpg
Views:	456
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	106370   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5573_small.jpg
Views:	498
Size:	42.7 KB
ID:	106371   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5570_small.jpg
Views:	424
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	106372   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5580_small.jpg
Views:	448
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	106373   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5577_small.jpg
Views:	417
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	106374  

Old 12-23-2010, 07:57 AM
JK Newbie

I am looking to change my transmission fluid soon.

I read through the write up and this thread and have a question.

What is the torque setting for the 3 oil filter bolts?

Thanks.
Old 12-23-2010, 08:30 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 165 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by mike7766
I am looking to change my transmission fluid soon.

I read through the write up and this thread and have a question.

What is the torque setting for the 3 oil filter bolts?

Thanks.
45 in/lbs. I don't recall seeing three bolts, though.

Last edited by ronjenx; 12-23-2010 at 08:32 AM.
Old 12-23-2010, 08:38 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks.

Type-o on my part, 2 bolts.
Old 08-29-2015, 02:16 PM
JK Newbie

Just did this in the drive way. I reused the existing bolts but swapped the real hard one with a fresh one from the front. Job was pretty much a pain in the ass .. covered up to the elbows in fluid. I found that I could reach that middle bolt with a 10mm wrench coming in from the passenger side horizontal along the exhaust pipe. Can only move it a little because of the tight space. You can loosen it enough to allow the 1/4 inch drive to do the rest. I broke a 10mm socket before on that bolt trying to crack the bolt loose with the socket and drive. The angle is just too sharp and risk stripping the bolt. If that makes any sense. Threw in new amsoil ATF (amsoil all around) and shifting like butter now. Also used ATP filter which says change in 6K miles... gahhh
Old 09-27-2020, 07:28 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ronjenx
This is what I have to make those bolts much easier to install:

These work better than a universal socket.

I know it’s a very old post but I can tell you check the forums everyday. I found your post because I’m about to change out my transmission oil pan with one that has a drain plug. My 08’ bolts are looking a bit rough so I was thinking about replacing them. Do you think you could provide a link to somewhere that sells the Allen head bolts that fit the pan?

I tried to send you a primate message but I guess I’m too new to do that!

Thanks
Old 09-27-2020, 09:31 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 165 Likes on 143 Posts

The bolts and wrench are available at Lowe's. Bring one of the old bolts with you for reference.
Old 09-29-2020, 06:38 PM
Super Moderator

Received 470 Likes on 422 Posts

Also a tiny bit of blue loctite helps as they get oil on them and are lubed inside the thread hole which can allow them to back out a bit.
Old 09-30-2020, 11:40 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,830 Likes on 1,600 Posts

That is always just a fun job. Everyone should get to experience it at least once

Quick Reply: Re-installing Transmission oil pan bolt problems!!