Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Factory radio cuts out, help!

Old 05-12-2011, 06:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know if a problem I had in my Liberty may lend some insight.

I was driving from Ohio to Florida in the rain for aout 12 hours. When I got to Ga. the radio sound cut off. I turned it off and on a couple times with no luck. After a little while it came back on. It did it off and on for the next 2 weeks after I got home.
I finally found that the speaker in the drivers door was shorting out and killing the radio. I disconnected it for a couple days and the problem was solved. I replaced both door speakers and haven't had the problem in 6 years so far.

I never had a speaker kill a radio before but it can happen.

Good luck.
Old 05-12-2011, 06:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bpohio
I don't know if a problem I had in my Liberty may lend some insight.

I was driving from Ohio to Florida in the rain for aout 12 hours. When I got to Ga. the radio sound cut off. I turned it off and on a couple times with no luck. After a little while it came back on. It did it off and on for the next 2 weeks after I got home.
I finally found that the speaker in the drivers door was shorting out and killing the radio. I disconnected it for a couple days and the problem was solved. I replaced both door speakers and haven't had the problem in 6 years so far.

I never had a speaker kill a radio before but it can happen.

Good luck.
You have speakers in your doors ?
Old 05-12-2011, 06:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have speakers in my Liberty doors not my Wrangler. But if you have a speaker shorting out it can kill your radio's output. I was just offering my experience.
Old 05-31-2011, 09:08 PM
JK Newbie

Default Same here

I'm having similar issues. I'm out of warranty bit my infinity system will work great for a couple hours then cut out for a couple days. Sometimes it works right when I start up other times it silence for a day then it will come on unprovoked for a minute only to cut right back out. I have the entire dash taken apart checking to see if I can "make it happen". Replaced the head unit same issue.
Old 09-18-2012, 05:43 AM
JK Newbie

Same here. I am experiencing issues with the RH speakers cutting in and out periodically on my 2012 Infinity system. They replaced the radio module but the issue still persists. Also volume levels are extremely high from FM source compared to satellite.
Old 10-23-2012, 05:04 AM
JK Newbie

Update on my previous post. I am on the 3rd radio module and 2nd amp. Problem still persists. I will try a different dealership (it's still under warranty). An electronics engineer suggested it might be the ground wiring for RH speakers shorting out, and creating the issue.
Old 10-23-2012, 05:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

Had an issue a few months back like this, ended up being a blown voice coil in sub woofer causing the amp to overheat and shut down. This was on the infinity system. Replaced woofer and everything worked fine. Hope this helps out.
Old 10-23-2012, 06:41 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by rcouch
Had an issue a few months back like this, ended up being a blown voice coil in sub woofer causing the amp to overheat and shut down. This was on the infinity system. Replaced woofer and everything worked fine. Hope this helps out.
I'll also mention this to the service advisor. Thanks much!
Old 10-23-2012, 09:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

Keep us updated if you don't mind.
Old 10-23-2012, 10:15 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by rcouch
Keep us updated if you don't mind.
Definitely will. Hope to get to the bottom of this.

Quick Reply: Factory radio cuts out, help!