Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Factory radio cuts out, help!

Old 10-26-2012, 09:34 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Update: the speaker cutting out issue was fixed. They found a bad 16-pin connector that they replaced. The other issue is still under investigation. They are trying to convince me that it's a signal strength issue, which I agree with to a point, but in my case the difference is way to big to be acceptable.
Old 04-11-2013, 02:36 PM
JK Newbie

my radio just started cutting out yesterday, and three days ago my windows wouldn't roll down. i shut my car off and when i turned it back on the windows worked. i did have my radio switched out a few weeks ago because of a bad aux port. kinda annoying i don't want to go to the stealership again even tho its still under warenty
Old 03-31-2018, 06:56 AM
JK Newbie

Default Speakers cutting out

Solution for jk owners! If you have a hard top, check the electrical plug in the back, next to the washer fluid line. If that connector is dirty or not fully locked in place, it will cause the speakers to cut in and out. Especially on rougher roads and sharper turns. The radio also has a volume control feature reliant on that plug. Another symptom would be if the volume sometimes gets louder or lower in a kind of wave.
Old 05-24-2018, 02:31 PM
JK Newbie

Default Factory radio cuts in and out

my 2011 liberty does the same thing. Regardless of Tuner/aux/sat. Plays for a few seconds then cuts out a few seconds over and over. I drive around in silence now it’s so bad. You guys are saying it’s an issue with the amp?
Old 05-24-2018, 02:33 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by icyfingers
I have the same problem, for a long time too. Even when I have an I-pod plugged into the accessory jack. I actually came to this thread looking for how to remove the dash piece over the unit to check for loose wiring. Sometimes it works OK for a while. Sometimes I can't hardly listen to it. It cuts out for half a second or a second every 2 to 10 seconds.
Hopefully we can solve this, I'm still under warranty, but not close to a dealership, and I can't rely on it happening when I take it in or I would have by now.
Thanks for starting this thread Dwikto
Now I'll read the thread Clownhunter69 linked to.
I have the exact same problem!
Old 09-03-2019, 01:01 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Brsteele75
Solution for jk owners! If you have a hard top, check the electrical plug in the back, next to the washer fluid line. If that connector is dirty or not fully locked in place, it will cause the speakers to cut in and out. Especially on rougher roads and sharper turns. The radio also has a volume control feature reliant on that plug. Another symptom would be if the volume sometimes gets louder or lower in a kind of wave.
Brsteele75, I read your entry and was super skeptical. I take my hard top off frequently and my electrical connector is broken (won't latch). Had it off the day this started. Went out today and thought, what the heck, can't hurt anything. Disconnected the electrical connection and all worked fine. Stopped and plugged it in and jiggled it ... sound goes off and on. Amazing!! This plug has absolutely nothing to do with the sound system that I can think of. Only thing it is for is to operate the rear wiper and washer and to control the dome light. It obviously has SOMETHING to do with the sound system. Thanks!!!

ALL OF YOU, try this!!
Old 04-15-2020, 05:05 PM
JK Newbie

did you find resolution to this issue? I'm having the exact same problem.
Old 04-15-2020, 05:06 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Shemp91
my 2011 liberty does the same thing. Regardless of Tuner/aux/sat. Plays for a few seconds then cuts out a few seconds over and over. I drive around in silence now it’s so bad. You guys are saying it’s an issue with the amp?
this is my issue as well. Did you find resolution?
Old 07-14-2020, 03:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Slikskip
this is my issue as well. Did you find resolution?
I'm having the same issue, talked to a few car stereo installers and one of them does a lot of work with the local Jeep club, said its the headunit itself, that they are defective.

my AM/FM has had a mind of its own for probably 1-2 years (never listen to it anyways) but just a week ago everything started cutting out. I'm looking at getting the Alpine ILX-650W installed. Time for an upgrade. Don't feel like going to a junk yard and having the same issue again.
Old 07-14-2020, 05:57 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

I had a similar issue- swapped another factory head unit in for $20 and it's fixed. Ok I'll keep going until they get expensive.

Quick Reply: Factory radio cuts out, help!