Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

HID Headlights

Old 12-04-2008, 06:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jean-Phi

Not mine but a friend of a french jeep forum's one (a really bad ass SRT8 JK 2 doors with dana 60 fully loaded )

these are harley lights, check out the logoon the upper light......I have the non HID version on my harley

Last edited by 2kTiM5; 12-04-2008 at 07:33 PM.
Old 12-04-2008, 07:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by not4you
This Projection Bi-Xenon HID kit will be available soon.
Im working on the final mold changes now.
This will not be a $99.00 Kit
those look violent and I want them now.
Old 12-04-2008, 09:35 PM
JK Newbie

Steve, thanx for the info today for the HID headlamps. I'm going to check them out tomorrow, hope they'll look good on my Saharah!

Larry
Old 12-05-2008, 05:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, the annotation 6000K means 6000 Kelvin. Kelvin is a unit of measure for temperature. The higher the color temperature, the more blue the color of the light will be. I was very pleased with the 6000K lamps, but I was hoping to get feedback from someone with 5000K lamps. I think they would probably look more OEM than the 6000K.

That's weird about the hi/lo problem you're having. My kit came with a hi/lo controler, and while the kit was functioning, it worked fine. The only trouble I had in that area was that the light pattern was not very well defined when the lights were on high. This was the result of the telescoping lamps. The lamps don't actually dim to produce the variable light levels. Instead, they change position. I didn't know that going in.

I don't know what happened to my kit. All of a sudden, both fuses blew to each light. I tried troubleshooting, but all that resulted in was frying the ballasts. The guy I bought from told me to increase the fuse size. I knew that was a bad idea from the beginning, but I did it anyway. I finally found a fuse big enough to keep the lights on, but then they wouldn't go back out, even when I turned them off. My kit was "covered under warranty" also, but it didn't do me much good. The crook I bought them from quit communicating with me as soon as he got the original kit back. That's what I get for buying them off of ebay.

Originally Posted by 07rubisteve
Not exactly sure what "Kelvin Temp" mine are, I just know they are 6000K, I would think this is the same?...Mine have Bosch waterproof Ballasts, which I was told are one of the best you can get and very reliable. I was told that I would get 3000 hours min out of my bulbs, and if I don't then, I have the 1 year warranty on the whole kit.

That is wierd, as my highbeams would not work properly with this Hi/Low HID kit, as the Wrangler computer would not recognize the Hi-beam, it would not stay illuminated....so my supplier gave me HID low beam, and Halogen hi-beam bulb. Basically, the bulbs are parallel to eachother. My hi/low work fine now, but no HID Highbeam. The pics I posted were obviously only lowbeam, but they are super bright. The angle I have them set at, they do not seem to bother people. With both headlights and the fogs on, I am really happy with the amount of light they throw Also since i have the halogen highbeam, my daytime running lights are still halogen. I am not sure if the US model have this.
Old 12-05-2008, 08:07 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by davidmech21
Yeah, the annotation 6000K means 6000 Kelvin. Kelvin is a unit of measure for temperature. The higher the color temperature, the more blue the color of the light will be. I was very pleased with the 6000K lamps, but I was hoping to get feedback from someone with 5000K lamps. I think they would probably look more OEM than the 6000K.

That's weird about the hi/lo problem you're having. My kit came with a hi/lo controler, and while the kit was functioning, it worked fine. The only trouble I had in that area was that the light pattern was not very well defined when the lights were on high. This was the result of the telescoping lamps. The lamps don't actually dim to produce the variable light levels. Instead, they change position. I didn't know that going in.

I don't know what happened to my kit. All of a sudden, both fuses blew to each light. I tried troubleshooting, but all that resulted in was frying the ballasts. The guy I bought from told me to increase the fuse size. I knew that was a bad idea from the beginning, but I did it anyway. I finally found a fuse big enough to keep the lights on, but then they wouldn't go back out, even when I turned them off. My kit was "covered under warranty" also, but it didn't do me much good. The crook I bought them from quit communicating with me as soon as he got the original kit back. That's what I get for buying them off of ebay.
I kind of figured that the "K" was for Kelvin, but thanks for clearing that up for me. My JK was the first that this company (HIDOutlet.ca) had provided the Hi/low kit to, and in one of his shops, he gave me the demonstration with the different powered lights. I could really see the color difference as the power went up, but I was told the 6000K provide the best amount of light. I was only looking for the best temp that would produce the most amount of light , I could not care less about what color, even though some only want the look.

Yes, my supplier advised me that the hi/low kit actually was the same light , just at a different angle, which get me baffled why the JK would not recognize the hi beam position. Rubicon_Fan has similar problems with his hi.low kit, and I know, Gavitron also has a problem with his high beam HID's, I am not sure what kit he has though.

I would give my supplier a call or e-mail him, (HIDOutlet.ca) ask for Anthony Tseng, he is very helpful and informative. He has two stores here in BC Canada, one in Richmond, and the other is in Burnaby. I think he is away for a couple weeks, but give him a call, and tell him "Steve with the 4dr Redrock Jeep" sent you. I know Anthony would honour the 1 year warranty.

Goodluck

Steve

Last edited by JackMac4; 12-18-2008 at 11:21 AM. Reason: do NOT post direct contact links or numbers for non-sponsors!
Old 12-05-2008, 09:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks Steve. I may do that.

David
Old 12-28-2008, 06:54 AM
JK Newbie

Has anyone seen these?

http://www.truckblog.com/story-1485-..._for_your_jeep

....They look a little less obtrusive than that "Transformers" looking set....IMHO. They don't appear to protrude from the Jeeps front as much.....I also like the idea that both high and lo beam work in HID and could easily see these with the American Flag "surround" on my Rubi...
But I also like the full 7" lense more than the projector styles....
I know Baja Designs used to make a direct drop in 7" jeep HID....Dunno if they still do? Here's all I could find on that full lense design....

http://www.off-road.com/trucks4x4/ar....jsp?id=263782

Quick Reply: HID Headlights