Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Custom modular JK hardtop

Old 10-18-2017, 06:03 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by jeepmojo
Thanks , i saw a braided ground strap, under hood bolted to hood on my 2012.
That would be easy to get to, short run of black wire .
I guess the only thing that needs to be grounded are lights not switch i doubt.?
So id just run a red wire from battery to the switch with inline fuse and then from load side of switch to the red wires on led correct?
I wouldnt need to bring a black wire from neg on battery to lights if i understand correctly, the black wire leads hanging off led would just dump out on the grounded wire to the strap of hood . Does that sound right?

Id only need
5 feet of black wire to get the led's (neg - wires) to the strap
maybe 20 ' of red wire to hit switch and then to lights .
1 single pole 1.6a 12v rated switch (plastic)
* a couple of terminal fittings to attach to battery and one for the ground strap
2 crimp connectors for the led connections pos +
2 crimp couplings for (neg-) to extend black wires from lights to that ground strap.

battery + red wire --------------- to switch %------------- > to red of led
then just extend - black wires on lights to the ground strap
( done? )
Basically correct, but you left out the fuse holder between the battery and the switch (you mentioned the fuse in your first paragraph but then omitted it from your list). Not including a fuse in a circuit could be disastrous - if a short circuit happens and there is no fuse, a wire could overheat and cause a fire. You'll likely need a few crimp connectors to splice the fuse holder into the circuit, and depending on the switch, you may need connectors for that - many switches have spade lugs, so you'll need female spade connectors. But other than those details, you're on the right track.
Old 10-19-2017, 01:48 AM
JK Junkie

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default ok

yeh those details i left out but not forgotten (thanks)
Old 10-19-2017, 01:54 PM
JK Super Freak

A few weeks ago Retrofit Offroad asked if I would write step-by-step assembly instructions for their upcoming 20" LED light bar. As you can see in the box, "some assembly is required". It's not difficult, but always a good idea to include very detailed instructions. They sent me one to use for writing the instructions.

Fully assembled, it looks like this:

I've been experimenting with other ways to use it, here's one. The two halves are just setting in place for this photo, but it wouldn't take much to make brackets to mount the light bars as shown below, in between the rails of the Garvin rack. Integrates nicely with the rack in this location; they're not too obtrusive.

I doubt I'll use this light bar on any of my Jeeps but it's always fun to try to come up with new ideas for mounting things like this and designing the necessary brackets.
Old 10-20-2017, 03:46 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A harness plug, that would be long enough for front or rear Basket mount would be great for Camp or work lighting too. Either quik clip brackets, or one light unit at each end of Basket ?
Modular lights that can easily be moved for front, side, or rear lighting would be so useful
Old 10-20-2017, 04:38 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Four Low
A harness plug, that would be long enough for front or rear Basket mount would be great for Camp or work lighting too. Either quik clip brackets, or one light unit at each end of Basket ?
Modular lights that can easily be moved for front, side, or rear lighting would be so useful
For camp lighting that could be moved anywhere on a rack, I'd use a clamp mount like the one from RAM below, and a double ball extension with the AMPS adapter that I designed for the LED pods (second image, from the AMPS adapter instructions). Using those off-the shelf parts, you could clamp it anywhere and aim it anywhere needed. This is exactly the type of application I designed the AMPS adapter for - using the LED pod with any of the hundreds of AMPS-compatible mounts on the market.

Old 10-22-2017, 03:40 PM
JK Super Freak

Planning ahead... when I arrive in Las Vegas next week for SEMA I'll need to park at the hotel. It's a good idea to know how much clearance I need... being as tall as I am, I can reach an 8' ceiling standing flat on the ground so I knew the top of the tent was about 8', but I decided to measure to be sure. It's 7' 11".

Then a quick trip to Google maps to see the sign on the deck I'll need to park in. 8' 8", should be good, but it looks like there may be low hanging beams so I'll have to be careful .

Old 10-26-2017, 01:37 PM
JK Super Freak

The Jeep is loaded and ready for the road trip from upstate NY to Las Vegas for the SEMA Show and several days of Jeep/RTT camping and off-roading in Death Valley. Leaving before dawn tomorrow.

Two comments about cargo space and loading...

- Removing the rear seat made a huge difference in the cargo space. I've got the fridge/kitchen, and extra spare tire and all the gear I need in there and there's still a lot of extra space. While it's a pain to remove the seat the first time, now that it's been done the bolts will go in and out much easier.

- I'm bringing a pair of folding chairs and a folding table (seen in this photo), and they fit very nicely on top of the RTT. I put the table in front of the folded RTT ladder and the chairs behind, and the travel cover still zips in place very easily. Since I'll only be using the table and chairs at the campsite, storing them up there is perfect.

This year a few new products based on my designs will be debuted at SEMA. I'll post photos and info about them as well as other things I find interesting at the show. I'll also post photos of my Death Valley experience, stay tuned.
Old 10-26-2017, 05:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jscherb
The Jeep is loaded and ready for the road trip from upstate NY to Las Vegas for the SEMA Show and several days of Jeep/RTT camping and off-roading in Death Valley. Leaving before dawn tomorrow.

Two comments about cargo space and loading...

- Removing the rear seat made a huge difference in the cargo space. I've got the fridge/kitchen, and extra spare tire and all the gear I need in there and there's still a lot of extra space. While it's a pain to remove the seat the first time, now that it's been done the bolts will go in and out much easier.

- I'm bringing a pair of folding chairs and a folding table (seen in this photo), and they fit very nicely on top of the RTT. I put the table in front of the folded RTT ladder and the chairs behind, and the travel cover still zips in place very easily. Since I'll only be using the table and chairs at the campsite, storing them up there is perfect.

This year a few new products based on my designs will be debuted at SEMA. I'll post photos and info about them as well as other things I find interesting at the show. I'll also post photos of my Death Valley experience, stay tuned.
Lookn forward to hearing about your trip! Stay safe and enjoy..post lots of pics!!
Old 10-27-2017, 05:14 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have a great trip, send pix for the Walter Mittys back Home !
Old 10-31-2017, 05:12 AM
JK Super Freak

Arrived Las Vegas last night for the SEMA Show after a 4-day cross-country drive. Drive was uneventful, load on top was very well behaved, even at 85 mph across Utah. Took a quick photo at an overlook to Black Dragon Canyon in the middle of Utah...

Spent some time last night with the MORryde folks helping them get their booth set up. Among the things they're showing this year - the prototype fridge slide/kitchen, a pre-production Overland tailgate rack (and of course the HD tailgate hinges/tailgate reinforcement/large spare carrier), the Storegate tailgate storage compartment and the inner fender ammo can holders. Also showing the new HD door hinges (not on a Jeep, on the poster at left in the first photo). I'll do some detailed photos of the booth today, last night I just had time for these two quick shots.

Quick Reply: Custom modular JK hardtop