Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Do I really want a JK ?

Old 11-07-2008, 06:42 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JeepinMass
I haven't heard anything about late model 08s or any 09 issues as I've spoken to the 2 best dealerships in my area. Of course my area and your area are just a small % so neither of us is 100% correct.

I do have a hard time believing anything a dealer or tech tells me right off the bat. I've been told some things and have read stories about some dealers blowing smoke up people's asses.

You are correct in the headroom in the GC. Mine has a sunroof. It's a limited with leather and dual climate control. Not a bad ride but not for me. My GF drives it around in the winter. I get about 12mpg driving it but am not sure what she gets.

As far as your original decision it sounds like you've put a negative spin on the wrangler in your mind, which is ok. It's not for everyone. As I said your main thing seems to be towing and engine power. Now as I've said there are many members who tow trailers and campers with their 4door. I'm not sure what type of boat you have or the weight on it.

Now I ask you what are your characteristics for a new vehicle?? Maybe we/I can help you with a decision. Where do you plan to take this vehicle, what's your lifestlye like, what's your price range?
i live in a mountainous area that have hundreds of lakes around.Great for fishing.I also have a 16.9 foot speedboat which I used to tow with my 1993 cherokee. Pulled it great. I have a new addition to the family now so I will need the four doors. I really liked the JK but the engine from the mini-van just does not do it for me. Also the endless reviews of how sluggish the four door is sways me to the Exterra.It's got gobs of power , was named four wheeler of the year 3 times , has less compromises than the jeep , but no sunroof or heated seats.I live in Canada and get four distictive seasons so seat warmers would be nice. That is why I thought of the 04 Grand Cherokee Overland. Maybe the six speed and four ten gears would be just o.k. I like to know I have power to pass as well. I am not into fullsize trucks for they are pricey to run. I do like the 2002-2004 tahoes but they are fullsize and probably get 12 miles to your gallon.
Old 11-07-2008, 06:44 PM
JK Super Freak

Oh yeah, stop with the "I'm just doing research" bit... the only thing you have been doing is making blanket statements about how terrible the JK is without asking a real question at all...
Old 11-07-2008, 06:51 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by phouck
It seems like you don't like the quality of the American big 3 auto makers. Why don't you buy a Canadian vehicle?
Ya that's a good one.Canadian vehicle. Don't get me wrong the big three have finally stepped up to the plate because they are losing so much business to the japanese vehicles and that not many people are buying big trucks and suv's anymore. Chev is doing a much better job with interior materials but it took them maybe too long to listen to thieir customers. Ford has stepped up quality too but hey it's still a ford. Then there is chrysler who have slid to the bottom of ratings. It's no wonder Benz sold their shares and got out of dodge.They did bring us the new G Cherokee , and wrangler but at the expense of mediocre materials and vast corners were cut to get this out on the line so they could hope to get out of their predicament just like Nissan did with the Exterra. It got them out of the hole and began selling again. Jeep hopes the new wrangler will do that for them.
Old 11-07-2008, 06:54 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Dylanjam77
Oh yeah, stop with the "I'm just doing research" bit... the only thing you have been doing is making blanket statements about how terrible the JK is without asking a real question at all...
In this forum I don't really need to ask questions. The writing is on the forum walls. To get results sometime's measures are taken and this Research i'm doing is fitting the bill. Some of you guys are so senstive. Fa fa fa
Old 11-07-2008, 06:59 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by JeepinMass
actually the torque is about the same on both models. The only thing that has change is the torque curve and where the majority of the torque is.
Yes I know the torque is the same but at a higher rpm. Where you need it is right out of the gate and it is down low. This is not supposed to be a v-tech but a torque monster. Jeep did the wrong thing putting this engine in it.Can you agree. A V6 mini-van engine why they did it...I don't know and they probably lost a few customers along the way. They at least should have used the 3.7 from the liberty.Don't you think ?
Old 11-07-2008, 07:00 PM
JK Super Freak

So then your original post was a farce... (look up farce if you need to) If you don't need to ask questions then why make that post... The writing is on the wall.... you DON'T WANT A JK no questions need to be asked.

Yes I'm soooo sensitive that I'm secure enough to admit to the world, "I love my JK, I love my JK, I love my JK.... lmao

Don't you have better things to do with your time? Like read all those happy little stories on those many happy little forums of all those happy little owners of all those other happy little SUV's you know are better than a JK
Old 11-07-2008, 07:01 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by ChewyGranola
Yup. But I am glad I did it.
You must have taken a big hit on your audi by trading it in ?
Old 11-07-2008, 07:04 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Dylanjam77
So then your original post was a farce... (look up farce if you need to) If you don't need to ask questions then why make that post... The writing is on the wall.... you DON'T WANT A JK no questions need to be asked.

Yes I'm soooo sensitive that I'm secure enough to admit to the world, "I love my JK, I love my JK, I love my JK.... lmao

Don't you have better things to do with your time? Like read all those happy little stories on those many happy little forums of all those happy little owners of all those other happy little SUV's you know are better than a JK
No it was not a farce. As I continued on my search people started to come out of the woodwork and tell me about their rides without asking. There is a method to my madness and it's working so far.
Old 11-07-2008, 07:05 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Tim Corrigan
Yeah, another stupid JK owner who doesn't know enough to get fair market value on a trade regardless of what make, model or year it is!?!?!? A shame we all don't do the quality research you do. Good god! It's laughable.
Old 11-07-2008, 07:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Tim Corrigan
Not too bad. But l would do it again in a heart beat.

BTW the power is not that bad. I had my JK in the Vail Valley in Colorado for about 7 weeks this year and I never was disappointed with the power. I am not saying it has great power but it gets the job done well enough.

Or you could get a Hemi put in eh.

Quick Reply: Do I really want a JK ?