Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Your after thought after your purchase....???

Old 03-07-2007, 06:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Your after thought after your purchase....???

This might help somone who's looking to buy a JK. Post what regrets or options you should have added. AND tell WHY?

Mine.. Maybe a 4 door since my little ones are constantly asking me to put a seat belt. I got it at $22,000 but Everything else is perfect like the dual top and 17's.

Old 03-07-2007, 07:05 AM
Eternal ***erator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

• Standard tranny - I prefer standard, but abdicated to the Queen and got an auto. - Still wish i had gone standard. no real reason, they both have goods/bads, i just prefer shifting myself *shrugs*
  • Rubicon trim- I wish i had the e-disco. not required, but sure would be nice. Could have ordered it as an option if i waited, but i am impatient. It looks way cooler with the Rubicon hood emblem *blink* *Upside to not having it: I cant mash it on rocks & break it, while having to manually disco makes me pause and think to myself: "Should i really be doing this??"
  • Dual Top option - would like the hardtop for the winter so i could scrape the windows as needed & hit the autowash without cringing.
  • Tow hitch, it would be there & be done with, instead of me having to add it later.

I guess that is about it.
Old 03-07-2007, 08:55 AM
JK Newbie

After driving JK Sahara 2 Dr for near 3 months, the first thing in my mind is the head rests on the back seat. They block off most of the back view mirror. If the head rests can fold down when not being used, I will say the JK is near perfect for me... The best part of the JK is that the heater works at -20 C.... The old TJ nearly froze me to death in the Canadian winters.
Old 03-07-2007, 11:11 AM
JK Newbie

Well, after having it a month now, I think one thing I would have ordered differently would have been to add the side airbags. Just for the safety aspect. I bet it helps the insurance rates also.
I would also liked to have waited for the electo - disco. Not that I would use it a ton, but it sure would be nice to have when you do want to use it. But i couldn't wait either. If I were ordering/buying now, that is one thing I would get.
I'll tell you what, I use mine as my daily driver, and it blows my TJ away as far as ride quality goes. Not that Jeeps are supposed to be comfortable, but I sure enjoy the JK on-road a lot more than my TJ. Haven't put it to many off-road tests yet, so I can't comment ther. It takes some getting used to the new motor and difference in acceleration, but once it's broke in it drives like a dream IMHO (for a Jeep anyways).
Old 03-07-2007, 02:19 PM
JK Newbie

If I had to do it again....I would have gone with Rubicon package. Tires with more bite would have come in handy this winter, and the alloy wheels look sharp.

As for the hard top, I had the front part off the first day I got it and i gotta tell you it was really cool!. I put the top back on the way it was described on this forum and hadn't had a problem since.

I took the rear seat head rests off on day two. They do come off easy and greatly improve rear visibility.

I wish the head lights shown a little brighter. More spot and a little less flood

All in all I'm really happy with this Jeep

Good Luck
Old 03-07-2007, 03:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jeep On
If I had to do it again....I would have gone with Rubicon package. Tires with more bite would have come in handy this winter, and the alloy wheels look sharp.

As for the hard top, I had the front part off the first day I got it and i gotta tell you it was really cool!. I put the top back on the way it was described on this forum and hadn't had a problem since.

I took the rear seat head rests off on day two. They do come off easy and greatly improve rear visibility.

I wish the head lights shown a little brighter. More spot and a little less flood

All in all I'm really happy with this Jeep

Good Luck
After removing the rear headrests, aren't the posts still sticking out? Thought someone posted that it did. I solved the problem by removing the rear seats. If anyone wants to sit in back, I'll just bungee them down.

ps...my rear seat has been claimed by my german shepherd, she loves it
Old 03-07-2007, 03:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Oh....forgot to post my thoughts after purchase:

I loved my 2-dr sahara from day one....until about day 15 when I found this forum. I've owned a CJ-7 back when I was 19 but never considered lifts or anything. Now I'm working overtime for the next couple of weeks so I can afford a lift/tires/wheels. Next month more OT for front bumper/winch....and the following month for something else and the following month....it never stops!! I think my boss loves my jk more than I do, he treated me to lunch today!
Old 03-07-2007, 08:57 PM
JK Newbie

I've got a 4dr Rubi, auto trans and dual tops. Only have about 800 miles on it so far.

The comment on high beam headlights sure is right on. They just aren't quite good enough for me. The low beams with fog lights are EXCELLENT though.

My hard top doesn't leak at all and I really like it. Looks great inside and out. Hasn't gotten warm enough yet for the soft top but I think I'll like the fact that I got both.

I would feel better if I had gotten side airbags as well.

Biggest disappointment is the gas mileage. I find it really sucks it up if you hammer it much at all. Or if you are on dirt roads much mine might do about 14mpg. Out on the highway, I'm doing 1800rpm's at 60mph and it will do 18mpg pretty easy though.

OVERALL I AM THRILLED WITH MY RUBICON!!!!!! EVERY TRIP NO MATTER HOW MUNDANE THE PURPOSE, HAS BEEN A BLAST!!!! NO REGRETS SO FAR.

Loadstar
Old 03-07-2007, 09:45 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got every option but the engine heater and my gig and am glad I did. Haven't used alot of the Rubicon's extra features yet, but I am glad they are there for when I do. I don't like wishing I had gotten something later on so I usually load up on everything. I am sure it will help with resale but I don't see that happening for some time if ever.
Old 03-08-2007, 06:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

I didn't order my JK, I bought the one that was available with my basic requirements. With that in mind:

Items I seriously recommend adding to a base X model:
  • S-package of options
  • tow package
  • sirius radio

In hindsight, I wish I had held out for the S-package of options; it comes with tow hooks, fog lights, cruise control, more instrument panel features, and rear tinted windows.

I'm very happy I ended up with the tow package, it's already come in handy.

And, I'm very happy I added the Sirius radio-- if I were to have custom ordered my JK, it'd be well worth the additional $$.

Quick Reply: Your after thought after your purchase....???