Notices
Mid-West If you live in the Mid-West area (North Dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska, Kansas, Iowa, Missouri and Oklahoma) and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members in your area and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

OKC/Tulsa: Clayton/Frielings Oct 17

Old 10-13-2009, 12:19 PM
JK Jedi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JackMac4
Awesome, let me know!
Count me in if you're going Jack. Swapped my days off for Saturday.

Now I'd planned on getting the EVO Gussets here soon - without those and running the heavy 35s, do I need to worry about anything? I'm always worried that I'm gonna break something
Old 10-13-2009, 01:03 PM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by interceptor_1972
Count me in if you're going Jack. Swapped my days off for Saturday.

Now I'd planned on getting the EVO Gussets here soon - without those and running the heavy 35s, do I need to worry about anything? I'm always worried that I'm gonna break something
I've never been there myself, so I can't really promise you anything - but as I said before, my understanding from the OK JeepThing guys was that they were going on easy/medium trails only this time. It's not a large group as of yet, maybe 5-6 jeeps total at this point from the sounds of it.

I understand your concerns though - why do you think my JK is a trailer queen?
Old 10-13-2009, 03:01 PM
JK Jedi

I understand your concerns though - why do you think my JK is a trailer queen?
Trailer Queens obviously have benefits . Wonder if they have a "When I grow up...." bumper sticker to that effect )

I know they said it'd be just easy/moderate trails. Googled up Clayton/Kiamichi Mountain trails and saw a few reviews and videos - some were downright pucker up ones. Keeping my fingers crossed as usual
Old 10-14-2009, 01:04 PM
JK Jedi

Trailer Queens obviously have benefits . Wonder if they have a "When I grow up...." bumper sticker to that effect )

I know they said it'd be just easy/moderate trails. Googled up Clayton/Kiamichi Mountain trails and saw a few reviews and videos - some were downright pucker up ones. Keeping my fingers crossed as usual
There are several different places to wheel in Clayton. And there are a lot of difficult trails, but the stuff at frielings ranch is supposed to be ok - and everything has bypasses I hear.

If it sucks, we can always go for a scenic drive - tons of beautiful country down that way...very similar to Hot Springs, but now with all the fall colors...
Old 10-14-2009, 03:30 PM
JK Jedi

One of my colleagues I was talking to this morning mentioned that the Talimena Drive through the mountains was absolutely gorgeous. So, at some point Saturday, I definitely would love to take that drive all the way to Mena, AR and back. Sure looks nice from some of the pics I've seen. So you driving or trailering your way there Jack? Any news if anyone else is coming?
Old 10-14-2009, 04:22 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

One of my colleagues I was talking to this morning mentioned that
the Talimena Drive through the mountains was absolutely gorgeous. ...
This is a right of passage for me every year. Honest to God, I think I get a ten
point drop in my blood pressure just taking this drive. It's also a great hike (the
Ouachita Trail along the ridge, or the Bohannen Trail and Military Road from the
valleys below). I'm thinking of going with you guys, BTW. What are the details?
Where are we meeting up? Here are a few pic's from Skyline Drive.

Old 10-14-2009, 04:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

haha, i was just about to say - contact mark for details on the drive. i thought you might be posting up here sometime. i would say that a couple more weeks would be better for the scenery, but it's awesome anytime. mark ould know better.

there was an event planned this time last year - clayton and the talimena, unfortunately only a couple made it. good time. there is good camping that's not too far, maybe 30 minutes, i think. i've had the jeep almost three years now, but i'm still a newbie and i thought the trails were fine. there is one hill that i remember that created quite the pucker factor, but as i said, i'm a newbie. i think you'll have fun.

really wish i could go, but i've already bought my osu tickets sucks. i always seem to miss this stuff. if anyone is interested in say 11/7 or 11/14 weekends, let me know. i would absolutely love to go this year.
Old 10-14-2009, 04:51 PM
JK Jedi

I will only be making the Telimena drive if wheeling is no good at clayton from the weather. It's a long drive (unless you fly through it, and that's no fun) and doubtful there will be time to do both.
Old 10-14-2009, 04:57 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
What are the details?
Where are we meeting up? Here are a few pic's from Skyline Drive.
Meet at 8:30 at Potato Hills campground (central)

okjeepthing.com/Forums/tabid/55/forumid/10/threadid/9329/scope/posts/threadpage/1/Default.aspx

From the thread:
Potato Central. Once you cross the lake 2-3 miles, begin looking for the big water tower on your left. Turn right into the campgrounds( it is a poorly marked entrance). If you run into hwy 43 or 271, you went too far. We usually stay around the 65 spot. Follow the road in to the campground, turn right at the playground, left at the dumpster.

Attention: Hwy 1/63 was closed which caused a detour on the east side of Hartshorne. Had to take 270 to Wilburton. Only adds about 20 min to the trip.
Old 10-14-2009, 09:00 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by JKsJK
haha, i was just about to say - contact mark for details on the drive. i thought you might be posting up here sometime.
ditto!

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
This is a right of passage for me every year. Honest to God, I think I get a ten point drop in my blood pressure just taking this drive. It's also a great hike (the Ouachita Trail along the ridge, or the Bohannen Trail and Military Road from the valleys below). I'm thinking of going with you guys, BTW. What are the details?
I figured this was a place you'd have definitely been through The pics were remarkable. You driving straight to Clayton or caravaning with Jack?

Meet at 8:30 at Potato Hills campground (central)

From the thread:
Took me a little while to figure out what direction you were talking about from... Got it!! Meet you there at the campground then?

I'll probably wheel with you guys till around 3pm or so assuming it's not too bad there. Seeing as we're close to the scenic bypass, I'm going to try to make the drive. Looks like it's about 55miles or so, given the location, probably take about an hour and a half to 2 hours for the drive - may make a couple of stops, then head home. Will be driving down to SLC Sunday - sold the set of Black Rock Steelies I had laying around and meeting up with a member in Bedford. Figured I'm close by, may as well drop in at SLC - may end up getting the EVO C2 Gussets and Control Arm skids while I'm there.

Quick Reply: OKC/Tulsa: Clayton/Frielings Oct 17