Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Advertisement
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake Upgrades

Old 06-06-2018, 10:45 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 269 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by Rednroll View Post
How's the pad life on the Progrip system? It would seem with larger rotors, and same size as stock pad footprint pads would wear out quicker.
Seems I recall someone on here saying the rear pads wore out in ~20k miles.....to which the DT response was along the lines of "with performance pads they're going to wear faster, but you can always use factory pads if you want, you'll just be sacrificing a little of the performance"......but I'm sure they'll chime back in.

***Edit - it was Biginboca with that comment, post #63
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modi...2/#post4218135

Last edited by resharp001; 06-06-2018 at 11:08 AM.
Old 06-06-2018, 10:56 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by resharp001 View Post
Seems I recall someone on here saying the rear pads wore out in ~20k miles.....to which the DT response was along the lines of "with performance pads they're going to wear faster, but you can always use factory pads if you want, you'll just be sacrificing a little of the performance"......but I'm sure they'll chime back in.
Like we said just a minute ago, pad life varies from vehicle to vehicle for a variety of reasons, especially when you're talking about a Jeep being taken off road while also being driven on the street.

One of the reasons we designed the ProGrip system to retain the stock calipers and pad/pad shape was so customers wouldn't have a problem finding replacement pads if they ever got caught needing to replace pads (for whatever reason) a replacement set could be easily sourced if no Dynatrac or equivalent off-road designed replacement pads were readily available.
Old 06-07-2018, 06:59 AM
Super Moderator

Received 123 Likes on 113 Posts

***Edit - it was Biginboca with that comment, post #63
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modi...2/#post4218135
If you end up getting the Progrip BBK, or if anyone else has some pics of the front/rear Progrip pad's edge codes on it, I'ld be really interested in seeing a clear picture of the edge codes stamped on the pads. I'ld ask our DT rep, but I have my doubts they would post it since all their marketing pics and point of sale pics seem to be purposely avoiding to show it.

The edge code number typically contains 3 pieces of information. Manufacturer company code, a formulation code, and a friction code. This is a more detailed breakdown from Centric which explains the info in the edge code.

So far from DT Youtube videos, these are the best pics I could get. However, I have my doubts if these are actual production part edge codes. It can be on the back, or side of the brake pad material. The reason being, by law every brake pad sold in the U.S. requires an edge code to be stamped on it. It's a DOT requirement. The edge code on the pics below seem to show a Friction code of "DE". I've never heard of a friction code that is even defined which contains a "D" letter designation.

I224DE
I= Manufacturer code
224= Formulation code
DE= Friction code

Unless the "D" is part of the DT secret sauce in the pads? However, I'm uncertain if there may be some questionable legal concerns there somewhere.

Last edited by Rednroll; 06-07-2018 at 07:02 AM.
Old 06-07-2018, 10:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Par for the course.....never as simple as you'd like, and it will cost more than you originally think. It always does.
What he said.
Old 04-14-2019, 02:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

And then the long silence. Strongly leaning toward the Mopar BBK system upgrade. Very informative conversation.
Old 04-14-2019, 03:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

Looking for the right kit and looks like kit offered on Mopar site is only for automatic transmission. A clutch reservoir is required with the manual, not sure why they wouldn’t offer two separate kits. I could have easily purchased wrong kit had I not read the installation instructions.
Old 04-14-2019, 03:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

Ugh, back to research! I don’t see a complete Mopar BBK for a manual transmission being offered. I’ll probably stick with just replacing both my rear calipers and pads. Looking to go with the Power Stop calipers with Z36 brake pads, but before I do this wondering if the stock brake lines are comparable with these calipers (are the banjo fittings the same?) & should I go ahead and change out the rear brake lines (Mamouth Brake LIne Extensions).
Old 04-14-2019, 09:52 AM
Super Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm running the Dynatrac ProGrip kit with 37's and it is noticeably better than stock. My only minor complaint is the amount of brake dust that is generated. Not a big deal and an acceptable trade-off for better performance pads and shorter stopping distances... I have over 40K miles on my pads and they are still in decent shape.
Old 04-15-2019, 05:13 AM
Super Moderator

Received 123 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by hornetman View Post
Ugh, back to research! I don’t see a complete Mopar BBK for a manual transmission being offered. I’ll probably stick with just replacing both my rear calipers and pads. Looking to go with the Power Stop calipers with Z36 brake pads, but before I do this wondering if the stock brake lines are comparable with these calipers (are the banjo fittings the same?) & should I go ahead and change out the rear brake lines (Mamouth Brake LIne Extensions).
I have an auto but from my understanding of the manual is that there is only a separate reservoir that needs to be added to the Mopar BBK. It's needed for the clutch hydraulics. I believe the reservoir can be purchased from Mopar separately and I've also heard many have used a compatible GM reservoir available at most local auto parts stores. I don't have those exact details.

After doing a quick search, here are some solutions I found others have used.
Originally Posted by tj3633 View Post
All that's needed is a remote reservoir for the clutch fluid. Dealer was no help at all. Mopar performance said all I needed was a 4 oz or more reservoir. I ordered this kit by wilwood. WIL-260-11098
Originally Posted by m998dna View Post
In case you're interested, here's the part number for the master cylinder clutch hydraulics for manual trans WRANGLER EXPORT that has the 13" front brakes.

CYLINDER, MASTER CYLINDER ASSEMBLY. Clutch, Clutch Master. Controls made by Mopar. #52060132AD
Originally Posted by Jeepster1228 View Post
1. Moppar Big Brake Kit for 2014 JKU
2. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/wil-260-11098 clutch reservoir
Here's a couple of pics with the added clutch reservoir for the manual.

Originally Posted by RCZ View Post
When I installed this kit on my 6-speed, I used a Wildwood 7 Ounce Remote reservoir kit, which holds plenty fluid for this application. Part Number is 260-11098.

I did have to adapt the barb fitting, because if I remember correctly the fitting on the Wildwood reservoir is a bit too small to directly connect the factory hose.

Last edited by Rednroll; 04-15-2019 at 05:40 AM.
Old 06-26-2019, 07:40 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 269 Likes on 256 Posts

So I'm circling back around on this thread. Little side gig with a buddy has accumulated a few extra funds for me to put towards a brake upgrade.....FINALLY. I am going to just go with the Crown system and add the larger MC/booster. After re-reading this, I am again wondering about my current brake lines since there is nothing included with the crown system. I have extended SS crown lines running to my current factory calipers. It sounds like those lines will not be compatible with the new calipers given the larger bango bolt. Does anyone have information on what new lines are now needed? I'm guessing I just need to buy something that is compatible with a Ram 1500 caliper.

Last edited by resharp001; 06-26-2019 at 07:49 AM.

Quick Reply: Brake Upgrades

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: