Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake Upgrades

Old 06-26-2019, 11:59 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,825 Likes on 1,595 Posts

Well, apparently the Mopar MC and booster assembly is no longer available. Back ordered nationwide and likely we'll never see it again. I waited too damn long.
Old 06-27-2019, 04:44 PM
Super Moderator

Received 207 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by resharp001
Well, apparently the Mopar MC and booster assembly is no longer available. Back ordered nationwide and likely we'll never see it again. I waited too damn long.
https://www.quadratec.com/p/mopar/br...-axle-P5160050

EBay:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mopar-P5160...IAAOSw-89ZOMcj

Then if those don't turn out, individual Mopar part numbers.

MC
68048757AA

Booster
68048755AA

MC Reservoir (unsure if it comes with MC or not)
68048758AA

For Brake lines, I like the Mopars which came with the BBK because the lines fit onto the calipers with the proper bends. The Crown Calipers and Rotors are the same as the Mopar BBK, just missing the additional parts.
Brake Line Left
68184809AC
Brake Line Right
68184808AC

There's also a lot of good info in this thread where DaWhitesJKU did exactly what you're planning where the discussion of hoses came up with some pics posted of what other's used.
https://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/c...6-2155561.html
Old 06-27-2019, 06:54 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by Rednroll
https://www.quadratec.com/p/mopar/br...-axle-P5160050

EBay:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mopar-P5160...IAAOSw-89ZOMcj

Then if those don't turn out, individual Mopar part numbers.

MC
68048757AA

Booster
68048755AA

MC Reservoir (unsure if it comes with MC or not)
68048758AA

For Brake lines, I like the Mopars which came with the BBK because the lines fit onto the calipers with the proper bends. The Crown Calipers and Rotors are the same as the Mopar BBK, just missing the additional parts.
Brake Line Left
68184809AC
Brake Line Right
68184808AC

There's also a lot of good info in this thread where DaWhitesJKU did exactly what you're planning where the discussion of hoses came up with some pics posted of what other's used.
https://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/c...6-2155561.html

Y, all the retailers that still list that really don't have it. Technically backordered. My buddy with a shop just laughed at me about it saying "if that was in stock anywhere across the country, I'd buy every single one of them out!" I'll have to check the individual numbers, but I'm pretty certain if they were out there, my buddy would have found a way to locate them cuz he has a ton of demand. He swears the options these days are limited to the TF master cylinder paired with either the TF BBK or the Crown BBK (relative to the Mopar kit....I realize there are other options out there that don't involved replacing calipers). Thank you though. I'll look at this info more tomorrow during some down time at work.
Old 07-14-2019, 10:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm looking at the crown BBK and either the Teraflex BRK or the Dynaflex rear kit. I'm a bit daunted by the install of the Mopar mc & bb though, it sounds like a real PITA. In addition, the Mopar mc&bb doesn't seem to be available anywhere. That's making me lean toward the Crown mc or going with the Dynatrac Progrip system (pricey). Still on the fence which way to go though.
Old 07-15-2019, 07:24 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by pcmasten
I'm looking at the crown BBK and either the Teraflex BRK or the Dynaflex rear kit. I'm a bit daunted by the install of the Mopar mc & bb though, it sounds like a real PITA. In addition, the Mopar mc&bb doesn't seem to be available anywhere. That's making me lean toward the Crown mc or going with the Dynatrac Progrip system (pricey). Still on the fence which way to go though.
I did the Mopar BBK install myself. The MC + Booster really wasn't that difficult.

You bench bleed the MC which just involves mounting the MC in a bench vise, filling the fluid reservoir with brake fluid and pushing in the MC to suck in some brake fluid.

Then once it's all installed bleeding the brake lines starting with the caliper furthest from the MC and working your way to the closest caliper to the MC.

RR>LR>RF>LF in that order.

I never installed a MC or bled brakes prior. I just watched a few YouTube vids prior. I used the $20 hand vacuum pump from HF to bleed the lines. The tool was toast by the end but it got the job done and my brakes work/feel great.

Been installed going on 5 years now.

It did take me a good 8 hours doing everything including replacing my rear rotors, calipers and pads and using nothing but hand tools, but I also took my time doing it and watching some videos for a refresher as I reached each step. I did it all on a weekend to leave myself plenty of time if I ran into any problems.

I went from knowing hardly anything about brake systems to being kind of an expert on our JK brake system, so the effort and time spent was well worth it to me for educational purposes.

Considering I replaced the following items:
- front hoses
- front rotors
- front calipers
- front pads
- rear rotors
- rear calipers
- rear pads
- brake booster
- Master cylinder
- MC reservoir

My total out of pocket cost was around $1K but I also saved about $1K in labor costs if I would have had someone else do all the work for me. Really most of it was pretty simple and straight forward. Removing my rear rotors was the most difficult part since they didn't want to come off which you will need to do with any BBK which replaces the rear rotors.

Last edited by Rednroll; 07-15-2019 at 08:02 AM.
Old 07-15-2019, 07:25 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great thread!!! Wifey and I are buying our first Jeep, this week. After several months of research on Forums, Youtube and FB pages, I decided on going with a JK. It seems JK's are easier to mod, over the JL, as well as having a myriad of aftermarket support.
Bigger brakes are one of the first 3 mods I will be performing when we get our JK home. Knowing how extra rotational mass, by adding bigger wheels and tires, affect braking, a BBK is necessary, for sure. Thanks for all the great info.
Old 07-15-2019, 10:13 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

So from looking recently, I'm under the impression we will never see the Mopar MC or brake booster again. I know most places say "backordered", but I'm lead to believe the items are no longer being manufactured. The only option we have or should expect to have as far as MC goes is Teraflex, and have zero options for a booster. I am not positive, but am pretty sure that any Crown MC you are seeing is a replacement for the factory Mopar MC, and not the MC that is part of the BBK.
Old 07-15-2019, 10:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree, I don't think the Mopar kit (mc & bb) is available anymore. That only leaves the Crown mc or the Teraflex. I think mc on both of those are the same diameter. Any thoughts on the Teraflex BRK? Is the quality suspect?

Last edited by pcmasten; 07-15-2019 at 10:18 AM.
Old 07-15-2019, 10:32 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

I agree, I don't think the Mopar kit (mc & bb) is available anymore. That only leaves the Crown mc or the Teraflex. I think mc on both of those are the same diameter. Any thoughts on the Teraflex BRK? Is the quality suspect?
I have a good friend that has the Teraflex installed, and another good buddy with a reputable shop that installs quite a few of the various brake options. There should be zero concerns about the quality of the TF kit in general, it's just a little pricey.
Old 07-15-2019, 01:53 PM
Super Moderator

The Mopar BBK was originally a J8 brake upgrade only available as an option in Europe. Maybe since the JK is no longer being manufactured they stopped making the Mopar BBK as well.

With that said, working for an auto supplier for Toyota, we are required to manufacture parts for 15 years after the vehicle production ends for service parts. For accessories its 10 years. I have to imagine FCA has a similar policy, but those parts may only be available through Europe sources if they did indeed stop offering the Mopar BBK as an accessory for the JK...and this is FCA afterall and not Toyota...but I'll give them the benefit of the doubt.

I know I'll be pretty ticked if I can't get a replacement MC or Booster if ever needed. I doubt production has completely stopped. Just not as frequent builds being done.

Last edited by Rednroll; 07-15-2019 at 02:28 PM.

Quick Reply: Brake Upgrades