Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake Upgrades

Old 07-21-2019, 02:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm installing the crown front brake kit right now. One question for anyone who has installed the kit, The rotor is not centered in the caliper bracket. The outer side has about 1mm clearance (or between 1/32 and 1/16" in) while the inner side has about 4-5 mm (or about 3/16" ) spacing between the rotor and bracket. This causes the outer disk pad to rub against the rotor. The spring clip is non functional at this point. I am hesitant to shim the bracket to center the bracket on the rotor. Any suggestions which way to proceed?
Also, does it matter whether I use dot 3 or dot4 brake fluid?

Last edited by pcmasten; 07-21-2019 at 04:39 PM.
Old 07-22-2019, 05:16 AM
Super Moderator

Received 207 Likes on 181 Posts

Was this you on the other Wrangler forum?

If not, then they had to add shims to the Crown calipers to get it to work also.

Originally Posted by Ramona Wrangler
They call them shims, I call them washers. I put on washers/shims which moved the caliper bracket outward the distance of the thickness of the washer. There is plenty of clearance now.
Seems like a manufacturing problem with the Crown kit if you ask me.
I got the Mopar BBK about 4 years ago and didn't have that same problem.
Old 07-22-2019, 05:32 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,825 Likes on 1,595 Posts

OOF.....that is not encouraging to me. I'm installing hydro-assist this week, and then brakes are next on the list....hopefully not far down the road.

pcmasten - whick MC did you end up going with? I'll be curious to hear a follow-up on this caliper issue. I really hate to be forced to TF, but I do know for a fact that kit is high quality and no issues like this...I just don't like the additional cost over the Crown.
Old 07-22-2019, 07:13 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went with the TeraFlex. Researched forever about rear pads. I had 80000 on factory brakes. Never seen a speck of brake dust. I replaced rears with factory pads and the upgrade kit. Front wheels I clean weekly. Teraflex pads are nasty. I am very disapointed in their product. Now saying that it does stop better which is the point but dust and squeaking is driving me nuts. I contacted TeraFlex....no reply
Old 07-22-2019, 08:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rednroll
Was this you on the other Wrangler forum?

If not, then they had to add shims to the Crown calipers to get it to work also.

Seems like a manufacturing problem with the Crown kit if you ask me.
I got the Mopar BBK about 4 years ago and didn't have that same problem.
No that wasn't me. Mine look the same though. The original calipers off the jeep were fine so I think Crown has an engineering problem. I don't like the idea of using shims for a part that should be correctly designed. I sent an email to crown asking about this. In the meantime, I need the Jeep so shims will be used.
Old 07-22-2019, 08:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by resharp001
OOF.....that is not encouraging to me. I'm installing hydro-assist this week, and then brakes are next on the list....hopefully not far down the road.

pcmasten - whick MC did you end up going with? I'll be curious to hear a follow-up on this caliper issue. I really hate to be forced to TF, but I do know for a fact that kit is high quality and no issues like this...I just don't like the additional cost over the Crown.
I went with the Crown MC due to price and the fact I was installing their Brake kit. The MC is made in China though.
Old 07-23-2019, 11:27 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RockinRobin
I went with the TeraFlex. Researched forever about rear pads. I had 80000 on factory brakes. Never seen a speck of brake dust. I replaced rears with factory pads and the upgrade kit. Front wheels I clean weekly. Teraflex pads are nasty. I am very disapointed in their product. Now saying that it does stop better which is the point but dust and squeaking is driving me nuts. I contacted TeraFlex....no reply

Interested to see where this goes. I’ve been eyeing up their dual piston front big break kit. Looks like a solid product but I’d love to hear more feedback on it.
Old 07-29-2019, 09:29 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

I lucked out! Buddy with the shop somehow received 2 Mopar MC/booster combos he ordered 8 months ago. I snagged one. Now the big decision will be crown or TF kit to pair with it.

pcmasten - curious, did you replace brake lines with that as well? Seems like my friend with the TF kit used same JK brake lines, which made me think that TF created a caliper that was compatible with the JK lines/banjo bolts whereas the Mopar/Crown kits needed new lines since you were pretty much moving to the Ram 1500 caliper. Maybe I interpreted this wrong though.
Old 07-30-2019, 10:12 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I was looking at black magic brakes. At least giving the pads a try:
https://www.shop.blackmagicbrakes.co...Brakes_c73.htm

Not sure if it's just smoke in mirrors though.
Old 07-30-2019, 10:15 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

FYI, Northridge has the J8 MC/booster back in stock per their email today - $269. BTW, told they have 20 of em.

Last edited by resharp001; 07-30-2019 at 11:36 AM.

Quick Reply: Brake Upgrades