Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Gear install

Old 12-11-2007, 08:36 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Not sure is this is what you need, but this is from the factory service manual:

3. Hold pinion flange (1) with Flange Wrench C-3281 (2) and remove the pinion nut.

4. Remove pinion flange (1) with Puller C-452 (2).

5. Drive pinion out of the housing with a dead blow hammer (1).

6. Remove pinion seal with seal puller.
7. Remove oil slinger (1).

8. Remove front bearing (1).

And here is a pic of the puller being used on our jeep when our gears were being installed:
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	pinion03.gif
Views:	1477
Size:	7.0 KB
ID:	4811   Click image for larger version

Name:	pinion04.gif
Views:	178
Size:	4.9 KB
ID:	4812   Click image for larger version

Name:	pinion05.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	18.9 KB
ID:	4813   Click image for larger version

Name:	pinion06.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	16.3 KB
ID:	4814   Click image for larger version

Name:	pinion08.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	16.0 KB
ID:	4815  

Old 12-11-2007, 10:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok that was pretty helpful but how do I get the first part of the flang off that connects to the driveshaft heres a pic..

I need to pull that sprocket off with the first flange.

2nd pic is called the prop shaft and the dealer ship won't tell me how to take it off. that part for ne1 that breaks it is 317bucks
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	universal.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	4816   Click image for larger version

Name:	prop shaft.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	4817  

Last edited by Capown; 12-11-2007 at 10:20 AM.
Old 12-11-2007, 10:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

ttt new pics, talked to Donavee Jeep and there service tech would actually help me he said I need a special puller from Snap On
Old 12-11-2007, 11:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

Angry Yes, I DO know what I am talking about

Originally Posted by Capown
Do you know what your talking about? Have you done this? They dont just sell or rent a pinion flange puller for our jeeps there is no U joint to pull out its just a shaft you have to pull from the inside from what my friend seen.
As a matter of fact, YES, I DO know what I am talking about! I have replaced the gears in my 2007 JK Unlimited.

OK. On a Dana 44, drain the oil (there is a nice drain plug just for that purporse. Now, pull off the rear cover. Mark the bearing caps to ensure that you put them on the way they came off and then take out the bolts holding the bearing caps. Make sure that you note which side the bearing races and shims came from. Use a couple of pry bars and carefully remove the differential. GBuy or rent an axle puller. It works fine for pulling the pinion flange from the Dana 44. After the flange is off, you can remove the pinion seal, pull out the bearing and beat the pinion out with a hammer.

From here on, you are on your own. The set-up is challenging and not something for the inexperienced. Get someone to help who actually knows how to set up the gears or you will be in a heap of trouble. Based on what you have written, I doubt that your friend is qualified.
Old 12-11-2007, 11:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by john98026
Based on what you have written, I doubt that your friend is qualified.
He wanted to talk to you, to ask if your a douche. For doubting him. Speaking on his behalf he has probly done more gear swaps then u will do in ur life. What kind of axle puller are you using to remove the Prop shaft from the pinion yoke see pic 2 ^^ above in my 2nd to last post

Last edited by Capown; 12-11-2007 at 11:24 AM.
Old 12-11-2007, 11:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

Smile Just trying to help

OK. Let's call a truce, OK? No need for name calling. I used an axle puller that functions very much like the one wayoflifette showed in the pictures. Now let's be clear on what it is that you are trying to remove. Did you remove the 8 (I think there are 8) bolts that connect the drive line to the rear pinion flange? After taking the bolts out, I had to do some "persuading" with a dead blow hammer to get the driveline separated from the flange but I didn't need any special tools. If you have this off, then you should be faced with the pinion flange removal. By looking at your pictures, I am concerned that yours came apart where it wasn't supposed to.

BTW, I worked on a local Nascar for 3 years and would guess that I have performed 50+ gear swaps. Mostly Fords, granted, but I have done a lot of them. I really wish that our Jeeps had 3rd members. They are a LOT easier to work on

Last edited by john98026; 12-11-2007 at 12:14 PM. Reason: Spelling and added concern
Old 12-11-2007, 12:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thumbs up Thanks!

Originally Posted by SDMF
You are not going to get very far acting like a dick to people.
Thanks! I am only trying to help.

Now, what are the chances that someone will design a kit to install 9" Ford diffs in our JKs? Think of the possibilities................
Old 12-11-2007, 12:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SDMF
You are not going to get very far acting like a dick to people.
for one I wasnt being a dick to start he questioned or down played my friends ability when there was no reason for it. He did this for a living but in CC tx there are no people with JK's getting work done so hes never messed with something like this, everything else he had done in a hour.
Old 12-11-2007, 12:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by john98026
OK. Let's call a truce, OK? No need for name calling. I used an axle puller that functions very much like the one wayoflifette showed in the pictures. Now let's be clear on what it is that you are trying to remove. Did you remove the 8 (I think there are 8) bolts that connect the drive line to the rear pinion flange? After taking the bolts out, I had to do some "persuading" with a dead blow hammer to get the driveline separated from the flange but I didn't need any special tools. If you have this off, then you should be faced with the pinion flange removal. By looking at your pictures, I am concerned that yours came apart where it wasn't supposed to.

BTW, I worked on a local Nascar for 3 years and would guess that I have performed 50+ gear swaps. Mostly Fords, granted, but I have done a lot of them. I really wish that our Jeeps had 3rd members. They are a LOT easier to work on
Truce is ok with me, just dont appreciate you acting like my friend doesnt know what he's doing(neither did he thats why i put he wants to know if you were one). I removed the 8bolts from the Prop shaft where the driveshaft goes into the splines. There is a C clip that keeps the drive shaft it the Propshaft that came off maybe thats why there not coming off together and you see the inside splines where the shaft goes into the prop. I dont see how you used a axle puller to get that off the Pinion. thats where we are stuck. We cant get to the bolt to remove it and use a deadblow to knock it out.
Old 12-11-2007, 12:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default I am done

Sorry but I tried to call a truce and you continue. I am done trying to help.

Quick Reply: Gear install