Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OME HD coils and Bilstein 5100's

Old 02-24-2012, 03:11 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OME HD coils and Bilstein 5100's

Yesterday I installed the OME HD 2618 and 2619 coils (from Northridge 4X4. FREE shipping) and Bilstein 5100's- PN 24-146715 and 24-146708 shocks on my '08
unlimited with only a BDS front bumper and factory rock rails.
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	657
Size:	80.9 KB
ID:	281790Click image for larger version

Name:	image1.jpg
Views:	547
Size:	77.1 KB
ID:	281791Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.jpg
Views:	681
Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	281792
My Jeep had 15/16 front springs and 58 rear springs from the factory and was about 3/4" off the bumpstops in the front. The OME HD springs resulted in exactly 4" lift in the front and 3" lift in the rear.
I wanted a heavier duty, firmer feeling suspension, which the OME's / Bilsteins delivered on. I
guess i would have liked about 1.5" less lift all around though. Now Im trying to
decide what to do from here. I think maybe I should have gone with the Medium
Duty OME coils. Gotta say that if I keep this set up I will definetly need to
adress the Track Bars, Caster, and maybe even sway bars. I dont like the sway
(top heavy feeling as you drive winding roads). I know I'll probably get alot of
comments about that! (dont drive a lifted Jeep!) And as expected the steering feels vague. I have had 2 lifted Jeep YJ's and 2 Land Rover Discovery's (one with the full OME Medium Load Kit) and I know that not all lifted vehicles feel top heavy. I thought HD coil springs and firm Bilstein shocks would have prevented that. Maybe these issues are due to the TB's, LCA's and Caster? I guess my biggest problem is that I dont want all this height. I DONT plan on adding alot of weight to my jeep as I want to keep the best MPG's possible. (average 19 'til now) I DO want a firm suspension that does not lean in the curves, and does not sag with 5 passengers and camping gear.
Any advise?
Old 02-24-2012, 03:59 PM
JK Freak

Default adderies

Originally Posted by jarad
Yesterday I installed the OME HD 2618 and 2619 coils (from Northridge 4X4. FREE shipping) and Bilstein 5100's- PN 24-146715 and 24-146708 shocks on my '08
unlimited with only a BDS front bumper and factory rock rails.
Attachment 281790Attachment 281791Attachment 281792
My Jeep had 15/16 front springs and 58 rear springs from the factory and was about 3/4" off the bumpstops in the front. The OME HD springs resulted in exactly 4" lift in the front and 3" lift in the rear.
I wanted a heavier duty, firmer feeling suspension, which the OME's / Bilsteins delivered on. I
guess i would have liked about 1.5" less lift all around though. Now Im trying to
decide what to do from here. I think maybe I should have gone with the Medium
Duty OME coils. Gotta say that if I keep this set up I will definetly need to
adress the Track Bars, Caster, and maybe even sway bars. I dont like the sway
(top heavy feeling as you drive winding roads). I know I'll probably get alot of
comments about that! (dont drive a lifted Jeep!) And as expected the steering feels vague. I have had 2 lifted Jeep YJ's and 2 Land Rover Discovery's (one with the full OME Medium Load Kit) and I know that not all lifted vehicles feel top heavy. I thought HD coil springs and firm Bilstein shocks would have prevented that. Maybe these issues are due to the TB's, LCA's and Caster? I guess my biggest problem is that I dont want all this height. I DONT plan on adding alot of weight to my jeep as I want to keep the best MPG's possible. (average 19 'til now) I DO want a firm suspension that does not lean in the curves, and does not sag with 5 passengers and camping gear.
Any advise?
a winch and winch bumper lights and dual batt
Old 02-24-2012, 04:00 PM
JK Freak

Default Check out my posts

I had some of the same issues you did.
Old 02-24-2012, 04:18 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by rj'sjeep
I have a winch bumper. I dont want a winch. I dont need dual batteries or more lights. What does that have to do with my post?
Does anyone have any experience with the OME 2616/17's on their Unlimited? The OME 2618/19's gave me more lift than I wanted. Kinda sucks, but ill probably replace them with the 16/17's. I wish OME just stated the lift height of their springs. That would have saved me alot of trouble.
Old 02-24-2012, 04:25 PM
JK Freak

I believe the HD coils are intended to be used with heavy bumpers, winch etc. They make them HD so they don't sag when these things are added to the jeep. I have heard of other people having the same type of problems with the HD coils until they added weight. Maybe you could call David at Northridge and exchange them for the medium duty coils???? Good luck
Old 02-24-2012, 04:26 PM
JK Super Freak

Did you ask forum members about the HD coils before the purchase? I would think if you weren't planning on adding heavy bumpers, winch, etc, the HDs would be overkill.
Old 02-24-2012, 04:37 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by rj'sjeep
problem with this is you need a decent amount of weight over the rear axle as well, otherwise you'll have a nice smooth ride up front, and cringe everytime the rear axle hits a bump. I went from the 16/17s to the +40s, and one thing I noticed is that with the new coils, since I don't have a rear carrier yet, the back end is a bit springier then before (over bumps). Front end feels the same (before and after, heavy bumper on both). Not enough difference really to notice in ride quality, but it is something you can tell is there
Old 02-24-2012, 04:39 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OME HD springs with a winch and winch bumper lights and dual batt on 33's.

Last edited by Tiburon; 02-24-2012 at 04:41 PM.
Old 02-24-2012, 04:42 PM
JK Freak

Interested in a trade? I installed an AEV 2" spacer lift a couple of months ago when I first got my 2012 2dr Rubi, and added 33's on 15" wheels. I've since added a XRC style front bumper with winch, and lost about an inch due to the 150Lbs or so I added. I'm at 19.25" in rear and 18" in front when measuring at the rock rails. So I'm thinking about upgrading to OME HD setup,
at least up front, unless I can get away with additional spacer. I'm eventually gonna run 35's. Could I go with just the HD OME's in front and remove the AEV spacers I have now to get back to level? Or do I need to due shocks as well, instead of the extensions?

Last edited by vulcan classic; 02-24-2012 at 04:47 PM.
Old 02-24-2012, 05:43 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by vulcan classic
Interested in a trade? I installed an AEV 2" spacer lift a couple of months ago when I first got my 2012 2dr Rubi, and added 33's on 15" wheels. I've since added a XRC style front bumper with winch, and lost about an inch due to the 150Lbs or so I added. I'm at 19.25" in rear and 18" in front when measuring at the rock rails. So I'm thinking about upgrading to OME HD setup,
at least up front, unless I can get away with additional spacer. I'm eventually gonna run 35's. Could I go with just the HD OME's in front and remove the AEV spacers I have now to get back to level? Or do I need to due shocks as well, instead of the extensions?
You'll be fine with the OME's and no spacers. Also good with the shock extension, although your ride won't be as good as with aftermarket shocks. OME shocks are tuned specifically for their springs,

Quick Reply: OME HD coils and Bilstein 5100's