Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

Manual or Automatic transmission

Old 04-22-2011, 09:18 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 165 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by lacavol
The math is correct as it was stated. 6 is 50% more than 4, but 4 is 33% less than 6. That's why when your stock drops 33% it has to rise 50% before you get even. It's all in the nuances of how it is stated. Like all statistics it's all in the presentation. As Disraeli said "Lies, D*mn Lies, and Statistics" quoted by Mark Twain in his autobiography.

Of course, it was all meant as a joke anyway. And you get 33% more pedals.
Now they have a case.
Old 04-23-2011, 05:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyway, back to the original question. I went from a '77 CJ5 3 speed to my current 2010 Rubicon with auto tranny. After wheelin both, I am curious how people feel that they have more control with a stick? When you are crawling over rocks, I was always jumping my right foot between the skinny pedal and the brake pedal while slipping the clutch to varying degrees with the left foot. With the auto, 2 pedals, 2 feet. I feel that I am alot smoother and easier on the drive train. As for going up and down steep hills, I shift the auto tranny up and down to give me similar control as if I had a manual. Well, this is my own experience and opinion on this subject. Good luck with whatever you decide on.

Last edited by jlabe2; 04-23-2011 at 05:50 PM.
Old 04-23-2011, 06:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

I believe I read this in JP but found it to be a good reason to get a manual. A manual has fewer things that can go wrong. You can dunk it under water or lose all your tranny fluid and it will still get you home, you just have to drive slow. An auto in those situations will leave you stranded. That being said i've seen a clutch go out and leave a guy stranded so I guess you have to take into account what kind of wheeling you do.

My LJ was an auto and it was definitely a lot smoother to wheel but I missed the manual that my TJ and CJ7 had. So this time around I went back to a manual.

An auto seems to be a lot easier on the rest of the drivetrain.

A four cylinder with an auto equals bad news in my experience.
Old 04-23-2011, 06:53 PM
JK Freak

Automatic and don't look back...It will make life a lot easier. I've had em all and an auto is the way to go. One stop and go traffic jam is all you need to make that decision.
Old 04-23-2011, 07:15 PM
JK Junkie

Manual I still get 15 mpg city with 3.21 and rubi tires
Old 04-24-2011, 10:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

Manual all day long. For many of the reasons stated above, plus I believe pushing in the clutch can get you out of a lot of trouble and save your equipment in many cases. They are also much better in sand and when going down hill.

That said, a large majority of new buyers go with automatic which will help make some one look like a much better wheeler early on.
Old 04-24-2011, 05:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

I'm not replying in any way as an expert. I've had my JKU with auto for three weeks now. My first jeep was a YJ with manual, and when I was looking for a JKU, I wanted a manual.

But I walked into a showroom one day and there was a beautiful JKU Black Ops, and I immediately fell in love (kind of how I met my wife).

It was with a bit of trepidation for me when I hit the trails the first time, because I was one with my YJ, knew every little nuance. I was really worried that the auto wouldn't have the control of the manual.

I was surprised at how well the auto was able to crawl in 4lo, both for climbing and downhill. I really didn't feel any less of control, the 'feel' was still there.

That said, I love driving a manual, but don't write off the auto because you think it will be like driving a Buick Electra 225 on the trails. I've found the auto to be very predictable and responsive.

If you're young, get the manual. If you're older, get the auto. If you find a Jeep that screams "I want to make a life long commitment to you," buy it and don't worry about the transmission.
Old 04-24-2011, 08:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

I love my auto. But a lot if the time I have to run with the O/D off.
Old 04-24-2011, 08:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LeftyStrat
I'm not replying in any way as an expert. I've had my JKU with auto for three weeks now. My first jeep was a YJ with manual, and when I was looking for a JKU, I wanted a manual...

That said, I love driving a manual, but don't write off the auto because you think it will be like driving a Buick Electra 225 on the trails. I've found the auto to be very predictable and responsive.

If you're young, get the manual. If you're older, get the auto. If you find a Jeep that screams "I want to make a life long commitment to you," buy it and don't worry about the transmission.

Here here!
Old 04-25-2011, 08:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Shankspony
Here here!
Thanks Shank, bottom line to me is learning your rig. My experience is that there is a lot of subtle nudging that goes on. My nightmare is still that vid of a woman popping the clutch and flipping the jeep. I've never rolled one, and I want to go to my grave that way. Even if you hid the titles of most of those rollover youtube videos, I can see them coming. Bad line, bad speed, turning off something you think you can't do when you should back down, bouncing sideways, or lack of patience in a crawl.

Worst I ever saw was a back flip, where all of the passengers weren't wearing seat belts.

Manual vs Auto might be important to someone learning their Jeep. I don't think it is important to someone that knows their Jeep.

But again, I'm no expert. I have a new Jeep to learn.

Quick Reply: Manual or Automatic transmission